Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default If you've had issues with a Griffin radiator/electric fan combo check in please

So I'm in contact with Griffin radiators about their CU-00060 radoator/electric fan combo. I know other guys have had issues with it. If you've had a problem with yours cooling or have links to other problems please post them here.

My new 433 with the Griffin combo/1600cfm fans goes right over 220*

Griffin upgraded me to 1950cfm fans. It took a bit longer but we still ended up right over 220*

I replaced the electric fans with a 30 year old clutch fan and no shroud and I'm at 190-194* steady.

I've read before that the Griffin radiator/4000cfm DeRale fan combo cools it right down with 0 issues but I'm really trying to avoid dumping 300 bucks into that after I just dropped damn good money on the Griffin setup.

Griffin is "stumped" The combo needs bigger fans I'm just trying to get some backup in writing, showing that I'm not the only guy

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've said it before, but I think the 64-67 GTO radiators are just too small for installing electric fans on. I think they block off too much area they can't afford.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 08-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
I've said it before, but I think the 64-67 GTO radiators are just too small for installing electric fans on. I think they block off too much area they can't afford.
I tend to agree with this. Not because the griffin combonation is necessarily bad, but it doesn't work with how these older cars were originally engineered.

There's very little in the way of airflow management across the radiator to begin with, especially it seams on early GTO's. So when you put a flat box and two little fans on the back side of it, the radiator doesn't see enough airflow across it's cooling fins.

The way the factory handled this was to put a big shroud and fan on the back side of it. This allows a freer path of air across the radiator at cruising speed and also allows the big clutch fan to pull air across it when speed alone isn't sufficient.

That big flat box stops that from happening.

Modern cars get away with this type of cooling because the airflow paths to the radiator are engineered with it in mind.

Your car lacks that type of engineering and I think as a result you're going to continue having this type of issue with almost anything except an old school shroud and clutch fan. They don't look as cool and they zap more power then the electric fan setups, but at least you don't have to fight cooling issues.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:37 AM

When I originally built my car I purchased a griffin rad/electric fan setup. Long story short it started leaking from a corner not long after I started actually using the car. My warranty had just expired due to time and I made several calls/emails about the problem and they never did anything for me. I can't remember exact part numbers I would have to look them up but I was very disappointed. I replaced the griffin rad. With a summit brand aluminum and modified the fan to work. All that being said, I have NEVER had any overheating problems in my car at all. Last summer I sat in traffic for 30+ mins. And temp sat at 180ish the whole time. 72 lemans sport, pretty stout 428 under the hood. My fan is a single electric with basically no shroud setup around it.