Old 02-19-2017, 06:39 PM

Default 72 Production

Did a search with limited results, but does anyone know of the latest documented TA?. I know Norwood ground to a halt on 4/7, and am assuming the rest in various stages thereafter were binned. Looking at one that's a 4A(4/4) build date ,thanks

Old 02-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ground to a halt did NOT mean all cars in process were scrapped. GM NON Union workers finished some of the cars on the Assy line that were within a few days of Finish. Also the "finished' cars in the "unfinished car lot" were also Fixed or repaired and shipped ( broken front Valence, rough engine idle, squealing belts, non op AC systems, Light issues, etc) Sometimes the Build date is OFF from the ship date, and this is why. Its possible the last '72 Finished and shipped was build a few weeks before the strike, if it was in the Unfinished car lot. 4A is a Late one, Good luck!!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 PM

Thanks Bruce, this one was an XXX Order in LB. Curious if GM built cust orders over dealer stock knowing what was looming. Think i'll em JM to see if he can shed some light.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Curious of your results. I have asked the same question. I own 3C 72.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The last 72 TAs may not a happy era for Norwood workers...

Doesn't sound like a milestone?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My car is a 4/7 ship, do I need the build sheet for build date? I don't see on PHS..

Old 02-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The build date they are talking about is on the cowl tag.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

Which was installed on the Body Well before its last day on the Assy line.. just saying... I usually see a week or more( if in the unfinished Lot) till ship .
Body tag is NOT last day in the facility.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Body tag is NOT last day in the facility.
True.

Neither will the build sheet have it.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

Aha THX I am 3E so close to the end.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have an 03E built '72 T/A. It's vin number is about 600 lower than the supposed last '72 Firebird produced. The highest VIN '72 T/A's I have recorded info on are in the 5294xx range. Have info on an HO Formula listed in the 5296xx range. Would love to hear of other later '72 HO Bird builds. If one is lucky enough to have an original builsheet, there is a scheduling date up in the top lh corner of the build sheet.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never saw the car, but I have a 1972 WM block that the VIN shows came out of a Formula or Trans Am. The cast date on the block is B292 (Leap day). I think the earliest that car would have been built is first or second week of April.

Mike

Old 02-20-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Have an 03E built '72 T/A. It's vin number is about 600 lower than the supposed last '72 Firebird produced. The highest VIN '72 T/A's I have recorded info on are in the 5294xx range. Have info on an HO Formula listed in the 5296xx range. Would love to hear of other later '72 HO Bird builds. If one is lucky enough to have an original builsheet, there is a scheduling date up in the top lh corner of the build sheet.
The one i'm looking at is a 5294XX. PHS says shipping date 4-4, box to the right says" date of draft " 4-31. Not certain on that as i'm looking at a fully blown up pic on email. Have the sheet too, but also blurry and water stained upper left corner. This is an LB TA, would be curious if it's the one you have-shoot me a PM and i'll give you the last two characters..

Old 03-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to Michael Lamm in the book "the Fabulous Firebird" Pontiac made 29,951 '72 Firebirds and we know they were all made at Norwood. The highest VIN '72 Firebird I have record of is 2N529939. Invoice ship date was earlier than some at 3/30/72. The strike offically began on 4/7/72. As these cars did not come down the line in exact VIN order it would be nearly impossible to determine the "last car off the line". As others have said many near the end were finished off by salaried workers. And no doubt the last hundred or so cars were probably shipped out in a haphazard manner.