THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't spend much time looking backwards. You know the old expression.. "Hind sight is always 20/20".

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-26-2017, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Had I been smarter.....

I would have stayed working at ATT, instead of getting back into driving. I was making 5.25 an hour at the time (1986) at ATT, and Central Transport offered me $10.50 an hour. The Central job lasted about a year. Got layed off. However, my younger sister started at ATT, about 6 months before I left. She stayed, and will be retiring in about 2 month's.
Had I been smarter....
There was a local auto parts yard, that was owned by 3 brothers. Kowalski Bros. Auto Part City. They had been around since the 40's.In the 80's, the 3 brothers split the yard 3 ways, because each had kids that wanted into the business. There was a pile of engine cores that people had brought back over the years. It was probably 20' high, and 30' diameter. When they split the yard, they sold that engine pile for scrap. I watched them pull out Ford flatheads, Chrysler Hemis, etc. I can't imagine what kind of Pontiac, and other rare motors were in that pile. I didn't think of it at the time, but I knew the one brother well enough that I could have bought the engines I wanted, for the scrap price they were getting for them.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, this is a pretty cool thread that takes an interesting direction.

Me? I've been married for a tumultuous 27 years as of tomorrow. I love her to death, and she is still immensely hot even in her mid 40's. At times, tho, I had wished she would run off to a hippie commune and write me a letter every year or so to let me know she was doing ok. NOT an easy ride, for sure, but is amazing in many ways that always tilted the scale back to a "keep her" status.

There was one who "got away" before the wife. She was beautiful and didn't know it. She was smart and kind. But when our paths crossed, I was not ready to invest in a long term thing.

I had a 4 year NROTC scholarship out of high school through the Marines. I turned it down so I could go to an in-state Division II school and play football. After a couple of years, I left college and joined the Navy as an enlisted man. My dad always shook his head over that, and at times, so did I.

But I can't regret where I am today. Every decision I have made was one more step on the road to now. And "now" ain't so bad...

Old 01-27-2017, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These car deals are sweet but if you took $1,000 and invested it in Berkshire Hathaway in 1975, it would be worth $4,867,366 today (actually that's as of 2014, even more now!).

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have too many regrets. Like Dennis.. I grew up in the same area around the Hurst plant in Warminster. I am still married to my best friend and high school sweetheart.

I regret selling my 67 GTO convertible at 19 when we got married in 1972.
I regret not buying stock in Bill Gates' company when it went public. An older guy I worked with said I should. He did ...and sold WAY too soon.
I regret NOT buying the Gulf Ford GT in 2005. I could not convince my wife that It would go up in value if we would just keep it garaged and maintained.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
These car deals are sweet but if you took $1,000 and invested it in Berkshire Hathaway in 1975, it would be worth $4,867,366 today (actually that's as of 2014, even more now!).
Ok, if I wasn't depressed before...

Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm ever the optimist. People tell me I have rose colored glasses on or that I see the good in everything and everyone. Does that get me screwed-over on the occasional deal or left on the side of the road sometimes? Maybe once or twice. But overall, I feel that seeing the good in everyone/everything is just a MUCH more pleasant way to go through life. And frankly, I think it makes life more pleasant!

So in terms of regrets, it's hard to say because I too feel like every decision has lead me to the place that I'm at now, which I love.

So here are a few small ones I can share:

My first car was a `72 340 Duster. 100% original. Pretty good for a 16 year old punk with no money in 1983. The first of many dumb things I did with it was to replace that big orange OEM air cleaner with a $20 Moroso open element, you know, to gain 50 hp! When I closed the hood and hopped into the car to test it out, I backed right over that OEM unit, bending it up. I then promptly put it to the curb. I feel like I'm going to Muscle Car Hell for that one and have carried that monkey on my back ever since.

At times I wish I saved more and spent less. At times I regret not spending money on x, y or z. So who's to say which was right.

You can make yourself crazy second guessing the big decisions in life. My biggest issue is when making new decisions and wondering if I'll look back at them in a thread like this saying I made a mistake.

My philosophy is the make the best, most informed decisions, THEN MOVE ON AND DON'T LOOK BACK. Plus the rose colored glasses thing.

A few posts I like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post

I can think of one.

In 1974 there was a fellow...

The car?

A white 1968 Shelby GT500KR.
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
I'm not one to complain about things that could have been different in my life.

Could I complain against my ex-wife - sure, but I wouldn't have my kids and I wouldn't have Sandra. Could I complain about selling some rare and/or desirable cars or missing some - sure, but for what I have & what I have personally invested in them or the enjoyment I've gotten, I've got nothing to complain about.

I just lost a good friend/past employee & my ex father-in-law/past business partner in less than a week - have two funerals to go to in the next 4 days. Life is short - forget what you don't have & enjoy what you do.
x2 in a big way!

469, M21, 3.42

Old 01-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A girl friend in college told me ,when looking back you may miss a turn now! My dad always said do your best!

Old 01-27-2017, 05:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

3 you say? Not enough for my life. When I start in, my wife just keeps on telling me:

'Let It Go'

Considering all the mistakes I made, all the crap things I've done, all the serious doodoo I could have been in, I've made out well. I consider myself to be very fortunate.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 01-27-2017, 11:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Had to think about this one- I'm very happy where I am at but like everyone I wish I had a bigger financial cushion and wish I had been smarter with money- but not much.

I'm not and probably never will be a 'money guy'. I have a bad habit of spending what I have available... but I've had a lot of fun, fun I probably wouldn't try to have at this point in my life.

I've held on to most of my cars and I'm glad I did- wasn't always easy and everyone told me I should sell - still do.

Things I wish. Had done different:

1) take college seriously- I graduated but just barely. Ended up with a degree in manufacturing which is what I should have started with instead of business, nursing, education, and anything else I could find.

2) again, take life seriously. I took an entire side sales job that eventually led to a god outside sales job- but it was offered to me years before I took it and I would be further ahead if I just realized I could it work my competition.

3) like others have said- take care of my credit. It's good now but it took years to recover

Cars I missed out on:

70 GTO 400 4 speed in pepper green for $1400 with sandalwood interior. Damn it was a nice car!

69 GTO hardtop with no carb for $100. Advertised as a parts car but just needed a carb and front seats. Being in San Antonio it wasn't rusty at all. Oh yea- when I got home I ran the #'s I could find and it had RA IV heads on it. I was 16 at the time, my dad was off at a school and my mom said she wouldn't give me money to drag home another worthless car.....

Old 01-28-2017, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought of something else. Not really a regret because I don't know what I could have done different. But it should make an entertaining read and allow me a vent session.

I got robbed of my opportunity to still own my high school hot rod into my later years like some of you guys.

Now keep in mind I'm young for this crowd. So in my case when I was a junior in high school. Circa 2000. I got my hands on a cherry 1986 IROC Z. Well it had its ups and downs. It let me down quite a lot. I know now a lot of that was my fault. Doing repairs as cheaply as possible instead of the right way. But hey, what's a 17 year old working part time to do. I loved it even if it seemed to hate me.

Anyway when I went to college I needed something more reliable. So I financed a pickup. The IROC was relegated to project status. Eventually as a young man trying to find his way in the world it was left sitting altogether. But I always knew it was there waiting for me. I'm sure many of you have similar stories. Restoring your high school ride years later.

Well. You know that scumbag relative most of us have? Mine is an uncle. Just the worse kinda dude. The person who is such a prolific liar that he makes himself believe it. Anyway, while I was away he sold the car out of my grandmothers yard. No title. Just sold it to a guy who wanted the engine and was going to scrap the rest. Which is what I assume happened.

Worse part. I couldn't even do much about it. Said uncle is the first born. Everyone knows he is a scumbag except his mother. For whom he can do no wrong. So it was press charges. Get nothing out of it because it's not like he has any money and get disowned by my grandmother. Or just eat it. Which is what I did. I didn't even find out about it till like a year later.

The real kick in the balls. I get reminded of it every so often. On paper. I still own the damn thing. Title is still in my name. So it comes up when my identity is being established by a govt agency.

I'm probably the only person in the world who pines for a 3rd Gen IROC Camaro. But I do. I want another one.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 01-28-2017, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Had I been smarter,

I would be on a rocket scientist forum tonight.
So this will have to do...

Old 01-28-2017, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I'm probably the only person in the world who pines for a 3rd Gen IROC Camaro. But I do. I want another one.
You're not the only one....

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=746725

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-01-2017, 12:14 AM
PY VIP

kirban 2 cents worth

The internet has been down for 5 days at my house and could not remember the pass word at work to get on my thread. Lots of good posts here most seem to be from a younger group than myself. A few old timers though.

Watch for y next topic should be interesting as well.

On a side note I am one of the speakers this year at the GTOAA Nats in Springfield, Ill.
I will be covering 3 topics Hurst/early GTO reproductions/door VIN decals 3 topics I am well versed on.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 02-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

'69 Mustang fastback. 302 4:11 3 speed. White with black interior. Paid $1200 rust free in 1982.

Oh yeah, & exercising my call to buy as much AAPL as possible at $18. I get a lot more guff for that one.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress