THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho60 View Post
The Bonneville may not be correct wo the lower side trim, but it looks a h**l of a lot better wo it (IMO). Don't really car for the lower beltline trim on the Cats either.
Try to look at it this way. Take a good look at a 66 GTO in side profile and then a 67 GTO, The 67 has the same (but not ribbed) type of molding coverage as a 64-65-66 Bonneville.
The 67 GTO and the 64-66 Bonneville because of the molding emphasizes the coke bottle look and because there is contrast between what happens below the lower portion of the coke bottle, makes the car look thinner and really emphasizes the coke bottle styling. There is a 2nd positive effect of this molding, and that is it protects the whole lower belt from stone chips, and when the car gets old and neglected it hides rust perforation.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:50 PM
Suspended

Thxs for posting pix & info Mike!

Agree 100% w Norwood...may look GR8 on Internet, Programs & Magazines...but totally different in person. Buyer Beware!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the post and feedback from those attending the auction-it was nice to know that the cars were generally not prime- some of those bids seemed weak. It's easy to forget they almost always look better in photos than in person.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 AM

just got a new cable company which lets me see mecum auction. first thing I see today is '79 gold T/A (went for 26k) and the announcer says gold SE package. I had heard these guys were not that well informed on T/As

Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hada76 View Post
just got a new cable company which lets me see mecum auction. first thing I see today is '79 gold T/A (went for 26k) and the announcer says gold SE package. I had heard these guys were not that well informed on T/As
None of those guys should be on that show. When you know a product quite well and hear what these guys have to say it is disturbing. When some other vehicle comes up that you yourself is not too familiar with and they give you their history lesson you just cannot believe them. I'm glad Mecum moved from Velocity though. The music is so loud on that channel that you can't hear any dialogue...and when you can hear the dialogue it's trying to separate what the host is saying about reminiscing his misspent youth and the auctioneer trying to sell the car. ALSO, get a camera man who knows what to do! The hood goes up on these cars and the main cameraman is showing the camera guy who's supposed to be showing the engine picking his nose doing nothing. When he finally gets the dingle ball loose from his rear the Mecum guy is closing the hood and it's all lost.

I just love on Velocity the show called "What's my car Worth" A dark blue 64 GTO is evaluated. The white guy says this car came about because Pontiac was at the point of death and Bunkie Knudsen Created the car along with Delorean. Anyone who knows Pontiac history knows Knudsen went to Chevrolet in the fall of 1961, and had captured the #3 sales slot from Rambler and Plymouth. The black guy says the GTO has a 389 horsepower engine...I wish!