Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Deleting Windows Defender Help

About two months ago I had my computer upgraded from XP to 7 and had the Avast anti-virus program installed. Recently my computer started acting up so I went back to the shop that did the work to see if they could help me with it. The computer would suddenly freeze up and the only way to get it back was to shut it down manually and then re-start it. They asked me if I had noticed anything or had I been getting any pop-ups.
I told them that Windows Defender had shown up about once a week saying I needed to do a scan.
The repairman said I had two anti-virus programs and they were working against each other. He advised deleting Defender. But, I can't find it to delete it. It is not listed in my programs and I don't know where else to look for it. Can anyone here help me?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why not delete Avast and use Windows Defender? It's not very intrusive and does an adequate job. Three programs such as Defender (antivirus), CCleaner (file bloat) and Malwarebytes (spyware) can keep your computer happy.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know why. One person recommends Avast and another recommends Defender. I was just going on the recommendation of the shop that upgraded my computer from XP to 7.
I am using malwarebytes and have a 30 day free trial of Hitman Pro. Would CCleaner replace Hitman?
Oh yeah, I did have Defender installed but disabled. Defender can't be removed. I had to go into a program(?) and completely disable it. It can be enabled at any time.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not familiar with Hitman. CCleaner removes temporary files, browsing history and other un-needed files. I run it every week, or so. It also has a registry cleaner and a program removal tool.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

What i do, If you dont know what it is Look it up to see what others are saying about it.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Windows Defender is not anti-virus, it is a spyware scanner, similar to Malwarebytes. Get rid of Advast and download Microsoft Security Essentials.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will MSE be supported? I had it on this computer when I was running XP.