THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 PM
PY VIP

Default Early Summer Tyme Contest

Here goes:

Open to all readers except any that either own or work for any Pontiac related mail order company.

Read all the rules carefully.

You get one guess and one guess only that you must post in this thread. Multiple guesses in one post your disqualified.

First correct answer that matches answer I am seeking is the winner. Prize value is about $50.

Here are the clues:

Late 1960s Corvette

Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am

Gordon

Hurst

I have listed 4 clues. Tell me the connection that I am seeking that ties all 4 clues together.

The game has begun....good luck participants.

I had to be vague so the internet would not be much help.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

T - Tops

Old 05-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rick Hendrick's collection.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Senior Chief

Dennis, I hate your contests. They're google proof

Old 05-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BVZ already beat me.

Gordon Buehrig patented the first T-Top in 1951, for the TASCO sports car.

The '68 Corvette coupe was the first American production car to feature T-Tops. Buehrig sued GM over that.

'77 Smokey & the Bandit Movie credited with popularizing the T-Top featured on the TA in the film.

Hurst produced the T-Tops for the TA, including the one used in the movie as evidenced by the funky roof line, the later larger Fisher T-Tops resolved that.

I'm bummed because I figured this out before I realized BVZ already got it.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry i got it so fast Dennis
Luck of the draw and i just happened to be browsing

Need some cool GTO or Hurst t-shirts really really bad !
Lots of 'em - Hats too ! load me up. lol haha

Great contest / quiz !

Old 05-15-2014, 10:18 PM

Wink

<crickets>

Old 05-15-2014, 11:25 PM
PY VIP

Baron is the winner: Send me personal email with your address info.

John V really went into detail. I been researching this for article I am doing for the Legend. Intersting that it was developed in 1951....Mr Buehrig actually sued GM for using the T Tops on the 1968 Corvette.....don't think he had much success.

The Hurst version was called Hurst Hatches a play on words ....

Interesting enough near me is one of the cars that was fitted with the very first set of Hurst Hatches for the new I believe 1977 or 1978 Dodge sedan...not sure if they ever went into production as that model Dodge would not have been popular among the younger generation.

Have to work up a tougher contest next time around.

While T-Tops may be cool to have they really weaken the car structure....watch one go up on a frame lift and you will see what I mean.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 05-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was racing against clock when saw contest posted and no responses yet.

Within a few minutes i had it narrowed down to T-Tops between Vette, Bandit, Hurst ... and was taking for granted the Jeff Gordon edition Monte Carlo was T-Top when i posted answer. Posted and let it roll.

Later on i googled Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo and they only had a sunroof, no T-Tops.
Got a little nervous about that. oops

whew , wrong Gordon haha
John V's explanation regained my confidence.

I bought a 79 TA in mid 80's, former X bought a 79 TA in late 80's.
T-Tops were not a consideration due to already seeing what was happening to other daily drivers with T-Tops.
Lead joint cracks and wet shoulders.

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 05-16-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:20 AM
Suspended

In defense of the t-top cars there sure are a lot of survivors.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis, the patent was issued in '51, I think the design of them for the TASCO actually came a few years earlier.

Didn't look very far into it, but I think Buehrig may have gotten a settlement from GM.

BVZ, I bought my '73 TA in '78.

I always preferred the front & rear bumpers of the '70-'73 TAs vs. any of the later 2nd gens, still do.

But I envied the T-Tops and also the '75 up rear window. I often dreamed of modifying my '73 to add them both. Being a convertible guy, I also toyed with that idea when I saw the later convert conversions (even though they were ugly).

I think the T-Top 'birds might have been a bit more rigid if they hadn't gone with the wrap around rear glass. But back then, I just thought they were so cool. Only later did I begin to think that I would have been disappointed, not because of leaks or rigidity problems, just because they really didn't give the same open car feel of a convertible.

When I ordered a 4 spd '79 TA (ordered too late, never got filled), I wanted all the bells and whistles, so it would have had T-Tops.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John i really hate to hear they didn't build your order in 79.
Those were the best all around TA's ever built.

My 79 was a 1 owner 400 4spd 4wdb with every option except T-Tops, Pwr Ant, Tape, Block Heater. It also had dealer installed stainless luggage rack and trailer hitch. lol

My youngest brother owns it now. He was born in 79 also.

X's 79 was a 403 car. She still has it as far as i know.

I was 2nd owner of a 73SD for 20 years.
A couple of 70.5's - still have 1 and always will.

Will let you guys know what the Prize is - Dennis is keeping it a mystery !
Should be interesting

Old 05-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I remember my sister ordered a new Esprit in 1979. IIRC, the dealer told her it was a 6 month wait for T Tops, because of popularity.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BVZ, circa late winter '79, I knew about the end of the line for the Pontiac 400 and was happy with my '73 TA, but it was used when I got it, I was itching to buy my first new car. My future m-I-l knew a guy at Eddie Ruch Pontiac in Wheaton who was going to hook me up. My fiancé and I went there and I was shown a very loaded nocturne blue with saddle hobnail cloth interior TA. 400, 4 spd, T-Tops, A/C

It was almost perfect, but was missing a couple little trinkets, I no longer remember what they were but I think one may have been roof drop rail. Stupid stuff like that. So I told the guy, I wanted mine just like it, same colors and all, but with the couple extra items. He would try to get it for me. I waited and waited for word. Never got it done. May have already been too late or maybe he thought I wasn't serious. I have no idea. I vaguely remember hearing thru my m-i-l that he was still working to get it for a time.

In hindsight, I always regretted not buying the one I was shown. About a year later, I got myself broadsided in the '73, gave it away for peanuts, bought a loaded '80 Phoenix SJ and never got another 2nd gen TA.

If I could do it all over again....

Old 05-16-2014, 10:14 PM

Had a 79 Esprit. No T tops, rust free California car, wish I would have never sold it, but it was a dark brown and I did not like the color and needed the money. Do they have problems with cracking the windshield with the T-tops? Have seen a number of 3rd gen's crack windshields from the torque with added power.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Will let you guys know what the Prize is - Dennis is keeping it a mystery !
Should be interesting
WoW

Killer prize package !

Hurst Hat
Hurst Wheel Catalog
Hurst Shifter Catalog
3 Kirban DVD's
2 Bottles of ZDDP Zinc Oil Additive

Great contests and prizes Dennis.
Very Very Thankful !

Old 05-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wanted T-tops in the 79 Formula I ordered new in October of 78. Dealer asked if I HAD to have them and I said no. He came back with good as they were having problems with them leaking and didn't recommend getting them. I had to wait until the first week in May tho for it to be delivered as there was a shortage for a while on the WS6 disc brake rear ends.

BTW Dennis, I met a Hurst friend of yours at the Oldsmoblie Club's BOP&C show up at the Granite Run Mall on May 17th. Don Glover. We had quite a chat.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.