Old 01-12-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
great vids, thanks! your caps on the master vented?
Thanks Formulabruce. No the caps on the master are not vented. I am running dot 4 fluid with the 510 degree boiling point.

The Following User Says Thank You to jtwoods4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2014, 12:33 PM

Guys I need a Front Passenger fender from a 1970-72 Trans Am. That is the only piece on my car that is not the original sheet metal. It has a later model fender. The fender works and fits fine but as most of you know the 70-72 didn't have the mounting holes for the engine compartment brace. Anyway, I would like to find one so I can have all the original sheet metal. These are hard to find. Can anyone point me in the right direct? Wrecking yards? Hoarders? Collectors?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwoods4 View Post
Guys I need a Front Passenger fender from a 1970-72 Trans Am. That is the only piece on my car that is not the original sheet metal. It has a later model fender. The fender works and fits fine but as most of you know the 70-72 didn't have the mounting holes for the engine compartment brace. Anyway, I would like to find one so I can have all the original sheet metal. These are hard to find. Can anyone point me in the right direct? Wrecking yards? Hoarders? Collectors?
many people make them now from fenders like yours, using original early fender tops and fronts ( lower valence mounting) by using a spot weld remover, and mig fill after.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
many people make them now from fenders like yours, using original early fender tops and fronts ( lower valence mounting) by using a spot weld remover, and mig fill after.
Yeah I just want to keep searching for the real thing. You know how it is

Old 01-16-2014, 11:05 PM

Guys there is a great new book that was just released. It covers the SCCA Trans Am racing series from 1966-1972. It is awesome. Even covers the engines and engineering aspects, the crews, drivers, the cars, its a great book. Buy it!

I was recently reading the section about the 1970 Jerry Titus Trans Am. Turns out the car has been restored to race day specs and exists in California at Canepa auto museum. Check out these detailed pictures, the car is amazing.... Once on the Canepa website scroll down below the pictures of the car to see the written summary about the cars history.

http://www.canepa.com/inventory/race...ebird_titus_8/

Here is the link for the book that goes into detail about all the 1966-1972 Trans Am Cars.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cars-Trans...rs+of+trans+am

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jtwoods4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Jerry Titus

I have an old car magazine that covers the death of Jerry Titus at the time of the crash...really a sad picture of his Trans Am crashed and still smoking...they talk about the car being taken away and checked to try to determine the cause of the crash...I know he had atleast 2 cars...I wonder what become of his accident car?...possibly stripped and crushed?...must have been devastating for his wife as she traveled and was on his team...I was always moved by that crash photo...I definitely would like that book...so cool that our cars were really on the track...what a great era to be a race fan for those few short years

Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I found some original 1970 Trans Am Fenders .... I bought them both even though all I need is the passenger side. Older Pontiac gear head on the other side of town had them. The drivers side was perfect, the passenger side had 2 spots where rust had started coming through the original paint. I am sure it is repairable though. Regardless, these may be the last 2 around. They are extremely difficult to find. Next to impossible.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70 to 72 fenders

hey JTWOODS!!...since you can video the Trans Am...I would like to see your new fenders and how much $ did it cost?...repop is $375 more or less...inner fender detail please

Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up #8 is GREAT.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwoods4 View Post
Guys there is a great new book that was just released. It covers the SCCA Trans Am racing series from 1966-1972. It is awesome. Even covers the engines and engineering aspects, the crews, drivers, the cars, its a great book. Buy it!

I was recently reading the section about the 1970 Jerry Titus Trans Am. Turns out the car has been restored to race day specs and exists in California at Canepa auto museum. Check out these detailed pictures, the car is amazing.... Once on the Canepa website scroll down below the pictures of the car to see the written summary about the cars history.

http://www.canepa.com/inventory/race...ebird_titus_8/

Here is the link for the book that goes into detail about all the 1966-1972 Trans Am Cars.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cars-Trans...rs+of+trans+am
That my friends is the ULTIMATE Trans am....it doesn't get ANY better!

I'd give my left GONAD to take that one out for a RIP.............

As I recall,when it was first restored in the late 90's it was chevvy powered,however,it looks like that has been fixed...

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transam1972 View Post
hey JTWOODS!!...since you can video the Trans Am...I would like to see your new fenders and how much $ did it cost?...repop is $375 more or less...inner fender detail please
I will post the video when I pick them up. the guy I bought them from is my transmission and rear end builder. The fenders are actually on one of his cars and the car is wedged behind two other cars beside his garage. I just gave him a deposit so he would not sell them to anyone else and we are going to move the cars And remove the fenders in the spring when it's a little warmer. It was 30 degrees when I went to give him the deposit so we decided it was to cold out. I paid $2000 for the Fenders. gave him 500 bucks to hold them for me.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:27 AM

Today I picked up my engine from the shop. It's a pretty nasty 400 (406). It's a 10:1 compression engine so it was made to run on pump gas but it was built to lean toward a road race application. The power band was moved up in the RPM range so it would have better corner exit without breaking loose the rear end. She's making around 500 to 525 horsepower and torque. The pins and rods are a little tougher so it can handle spinning up to around 6500 to 6800 rpm.

She has the Edelbrock aluminum d port heads that were ported to flow around 310 cfm. The torker II intake was port matched to the heads. Forged pistons and forged 6.8 rods. Solid roller and steel rockers. Carburetor is AED 950 HO. the distributor and headers are not in the video we just used what was on the engine stand. I have a set of the hooker super competition headers that I sent to thermal tech to have Coated. MSD billet distributor is still in the box. I'll post the complete build sheet later on.

Enjoy the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LSRx7WKHQ8

Old 02-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Nice video!!! That had to be loud, loud ,loud. Sounds nice though.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pump gas?? hmm, sounds very nasty!! hope its fun to drive!

Old 02-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default the engine

I now know why you were concerned about motor mounts...that thing is a beast!!..are you certain the hood will close?...hows your license??

Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 AM

New engine went in the car today....

Thanks for the Mounts 78w72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nODS3LKUQWE

Old 02-16-2014, 03:16 PM

Ok guys I need some. I am trying to wire the new starter to the original harness. Please watch the video and chime in if you know what I need to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M1BAzTp_9A

Old 02-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

are you going to run points or an HEI/conversion?

If running an HEI:
purple wire to ignition terminal
red wire and battery cable to battery terminal
yellow wire is not needed

If running Points:
yellow wire connect to main post under rubber insulator on the opposite side of the starter (pic below)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12931.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	353259  

Last edited by RicksGTO; 02-16-2014 at 04:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RicksGTO For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 PM

I'm using an MSD Pro Billet distributor with an MSD 6AL2 ignition box.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I edited my post above with the wire routing while you were replying. Here is the instruction sheet that is for the PowerMaster model 9510 (I think that's what your starter is) and it has some wiring info in the written parts:
http://www.powermastermotorsports.co..._GMMiniSta.pdf

Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksGTO View Post
are you going to run points or an HEI/conversion?

If running an HEI:
yellow wire is not needed

If running Points:
yellow wire connect to main post under rubber insulator on the opposite side of the starter (pic below)
Thank you! Is the MSD Pro billet distributor and MSD 6AL ignition box considered "points" or "HEI"?????