THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM

Default Street Outlaws- Pontiac twin turbo

I think it is going to be interesting to see if Big Chief can climb up the ladder in his GTO with the twin turbo. It looks like he has been out of the game for a while and is still getting used to the power of that Pontiac.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just can't get past how obviously fake that show is.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the show but except for chiefs car I haven't seen a single one actually drive on the street it's just a bunch of race cars

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 01-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Although I'm not a follower of the show, ck. this out:

Street outlaws Big Chiefs Twin Turbo Pontiac
http://speedsociety.com/streetoutlaw...turbo-pontiac/

Video runs http://youtu.be/ZQY2ANS9z0w

Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 PM

I watch if nothing else in on. Gto looks pretty cool . funny how they are always worried about the cops with the big lights set up for tv ! Lol

Old 01-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Big Cheif "these guys think you can't make power with a small block Pontiac". It's funny how there is always a cop nearby that they have to run from when they do a "test hit", but every weekend they run 3 or 4 races back to back with a crowd around them and not a cop anywhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTO68FXSTC98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We used to have lookouts back in the early 80's when I did some street racing in Columbus, Ohio back in behind where the old Penney's outlet used to be. Had to make some fast runs out of there a few times due to the cops trying to sneak in on us. Never got caught but did get close to it a couple of times. I watched it last night for the first time as there was nothing else on and I agree, those are not street cars by any means. If they were then where are the street tires. Just something else for TV audiences.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO68FXSTC98 View Post
Big Cheif "these guys think you can't make power with a small block Pontiac". It's funny how there is always a cop nearby that they have to run from when they do a "test hit", but every weekend they run 3 or 4 races back to back with a crowd around them and not a cop anywhere.
The law folks ARE there, all the time. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol closes the road (which is actually Route 66), and the local law enforcement enthusiasts are there also. They had a tough time finding a township, allowing them to do this deal...

A bunch of the filming takes place 2 miles from my house. I've never attended one of the sessions (usually around 2 A.M.), and don't care to, don't want to see one of them get killed .

It's just another screwy reality show, nothing I'd care to watch....although

Essentially the only drag strip in central Oklahoma (Noble, Oklahoma) had one of their Pro-Street nights (first Sat. afternoon/night of month)., this past summer.
Usually there's around 100 cars, maybe 200-300 people attending...I don't remember which month it was (later in summer).
There were same amount of cars w/ around 5,000 (or more) in attendance, just to see the outlaw goofballs.

A good thing for the sport of racing, but they were there to see the "stars", not really interested in the racing, as I am.
The racing world might be able to learn something from this. Seen a drag race lately (even a national event) w/ the stands full???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

What ever happened to driving your car to a street race

The Following User Says Thank You to grrrrregg!!! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I grew up in the Long Island ny street race scene in the 80's 90's lots of fast cars and they were all street driven

2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 01-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is a write up in HOT ROD about the show. They really side step Mike Finnegans questions if its real or fake. News flash its all set up.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:23 PM

Yes they are street cars. I've watched these guys race when they came to Dallas for crash days. They are set up for 1/8th mile and meant to race on the street. And yes money was on the line for the winner-12K. The Texas guys they race are dfwss.org. The show maybe fake, but I can promise you these guys and their cars are the real deal. YouTube DFW crash days.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would like to see these "street" cars drive 20 miles race and drive 20 miles home that is a street car
The one street car on the show is farm truck

2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 01-14-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWAGON View Post
I would like to see these "street" cars drive 20 miles race and drive 20 miles home that is a street car
It is? If a car is tagged and inspected its a street car IMO. Doesn't matter if it can drive a 1/4 mile or 500 miles, legally it can be driven on the street.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

would it be more fun to watch "the most average street cars in america"?
NO. Hence they are race type cars set up to hook on streets.=More fun to watch.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 12:26 PM

I used to street race back in the 80's behind our local Budweiser brewery in FTC. I had a Nova 350 nothing to write home about but I thought it was fast. I dont think anyone ever drove a 2000 hp car of course but we did have a couple guys who would drive down from WY with a Chevelle with a blower sticking out the hood and 4:xx gears in the rear. A drive that usually takes a 45 minutes took them twice that and there were a few other guys from WY that had some fast cars. A 383 Vega was the fastest car here in FTC. I am not sure what people are calling fake? The cars not being driven on the street( I am sure the guy in the Chevelle would have rather trailered it to CO), the races themselves?? One thing that has always been a given, EGO+fast (any) cars+ money= a race. I dont see people letting there cars get beat just for a TV show, especially by out of towners. All shows have some extra filler but when it comes to trying to drive a 2000hp car down a road you better know how to peddle and drive that thing str8 down the road, that takes a pretty good driver

Old 01-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Senior Chief

For me a street car would be something that you could drive for at least 500 miles on pump 91 gas without any trouble. The vehicles on the show are definitely race cars but alot of people find it entertaining and that's what the producers want but it is far from reality. I have watched the show a couple times for short increments but lost interest.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^Agree^

Plus to much BS between the drivers.
We rarely had any altercations back in the day. At least not to those levels.
Couple times got ugly beat'n out of towners.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 01-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the BS between is actually pretty tame compared to what I have seen in the old days street racers will argue about everything

2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree these aren't my definition of a street car. Farm Truck is a street car. It gets driven on the street, used as a truck, etc. But, all of the cars are raced on the street, and I do enjoy the show a lot.