Old 01-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Senior Chief

Default Under hood measurement

I am in the process of "mocking up/pre assembly" of my 70 Formula to get all of the panels lined up. I have found all of the frame measurements for the car but can not find anything on the under hood. I need an "X/cross" measurement from the center of the top fender bolt that bolts to the top of the cowl panel, across to the opposite side to the center fastening spot where the hood adjusting bumper fastens to the radiator support. Then do the same measurement for the other side. Can someone get this measurement please? It would be great to get a measurement from a Firebird that is a survivor, not ever been disassembled. Or, is there a measurement guide for this in print somewhere? I can't find one anywhere. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvisme View Post
I am in the process of "mocking up/pre assembly" of my 70 Formula to get all of the panels lined up. I have found all of the frame measurements for the car but can not find anything on the under hood. I need an "X/cross" measurement from the center of the top fender bolt that bolts to the top of the cowl panel, across to the opposite side to the center fastening spot where the hood adjusting bumper fastens to the radiator support. Then do the same measurement for the other side. Can someone get this measurement please? It would be great to get a measurement from a Firebird that is a survivor, not ever been disassembled. Or, is there a measurement guide for this in print somewhere? I can't find one anywhere. Thank you in advance.
You can measure what you have on the frame to make sure everything is square. The other measurements are going to depend on how you need to align the sheetmetal on your car. Align the doors first, then do the fenders.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
The Following User Says Thank You to 3tas4me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks 3tas4me. What you describe is what I usually do on my builds. I just wondered of there was a schematic of measurements for the under hood. I'd like to get the car as close as possible to factory lines/measurements on the front end. I do have all of the other measurements in print. The problem with this build is everything has been taken apart, new door skins have been installed, the fenders have had rusted out sections replaced on the lowers, the right rocker panel will be replaced as well as the quarter panels (those half sections, the only ones available for these cars.) The doors will get aligned to the quarters, at least what's left of the quarters lol, then the quarters will be replaced. Then on to as you mentioned here. Okay, enough of my rattling on. Time for me to get back to work

Old 01-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to "back up the bus" for a minute........I think you've removed the subframe,right?

......and probably knew about the gauge pin holes in cowl and subframe mount pads for alignment purposes?????

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
Just to "back up the bus" for a minute........I think you've removed the subframe,right?

......and probably knew about the gauge pin holes in cowl and subframe mount pads for alignment purposes?????
Yes I have and the sub frame is in its proper place. Checked and rechecked with a tram gage with the measurements provided in the fisher manual.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok,so your rad support is mounted on the subframe then?

Mount your fenders loosely....2 bolts to the cowl & 2 to the top of rad support (each side)......loosen the core support to frame horn bolts and drop the hood in place.

You should be able to shift the front (including rad support) to either side.... to create parallel hood gaps....then tighten the core support mounting bolts...

THat's always worked good for ME for a "rough in" adjustment..

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Senior Chief

Thank ya. I will give that a go.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvisme View Post
Thanks 3tas4me. What you describe is what I usually do on my builds. I just wondered of there was a schematic of measurements for the under hood. I'd like to get the car as close as possible to factory lines/measurements on the front end. I do have all of the other measurements in print. The problem with this build is everything has been taken apart, new door skins have been installed, the fenders have had rusted out sections replaced on the lowers, the right rocker panel will be replaced as well as the quarter panels (those half sections, the only ones available for these cars.) The doors will get aligned to the quarters, at least what's left of the quarters lol, then the quarters will be replaced. Then on to as you mentioned here. Okay, enough of my rattling on. Time for me to get back to work
edvisme even the factory that build those cars at problem lining up the sheet metal. I how you have the book Echoes of Norwood so go to page 200 and read the next few pages you will see what I'm talking about.

1972 TRANS AM , UNDER RESTORATION
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=656067
1972 FIREBIRD FUTUR PROJECT
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=674551
1978 TRANS AM (PARTS CAR) MAYBE
1971 LEMANS T37 (PARTED OUT)
1976 TRANS AM (PARTED OUT)
1984 6000LE (SOLD)
2003 SILVERADO 1500
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 72TAMAN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Senior Chief

That Pontiac fender spreader is something. Would be nice to get ahold of that special bumper locating fixture. And that upper door check fixture, too. Amazing how many other special tools were designed to make the lining up of the front end sheet metal quick work. I have to wonder, is it possible that these old fixtures are laying around somewhere? Maybe the drawings for these things? Right lol. Dream on.

The Following User Says Thank You to edvisme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default disasemble/reassemble

whenever I see a Firebird apart on the floor..I say that's a better man than me...I don't even have the guts to take off my inner fenders!!..I left the doors on, had new quarters put on..took the doors off ,reskinned, new hinges ..then doors back on!!I am left with 2 fenders and a hood!...but I feel your pain, if that helps!!

The Following User Says Thank You to transam1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default measurements

E...I can give you measurements...in fact I have had fenders,hood,bumper & valence on for test fit...at the risk of sounding wonderful....my sheet metal fits perfect..car was never hit...that is why I hate to take anything apart...on the other hand I had no radiator support rust issues...since I am using new GM later style fenders, another reason I will not swap out the upper inner fender...why mess with sucess!!...check here later..I will get some measurements

Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default measurements

this is what I got...for measuring I am going end to end using the 2 front cowel hood/crash bolts and the 2 bolts with the rubber bumpers removed on the radiator support.................distance from 2 front cowel bolts is between 46 1/4 to 46 3/8...........................distance from 2 radiator hood bolts is 49 3/8................................distance from drivers cowel bolt to rad. support bolt is 52 1/2...........................distance from pass. side cowel bolt to rad. supp.bolt is 52 1/2to 5/8...........................making an X, pass.cowel bolt to rad. supp. bolt is 70 5/8...........................making an X drivers side cowel bolt to pass side rad. bolt is 70 3/4...........................I did this all by myself with no help, just hooking the end of the tape to the bolts and measuring....this should be a start....will check in later...good luck!