Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 PM

Default which header?

Hey gang.
I've been looking through this forum for some good info on headers.....all good stuff.
But I didn't see any review on the Flowtech #31170FLT.
Oh....I have a 71 GTO auto with a 455 and D port heads.
Any thoughts on these or what would you suggest?
Thank you
STUMP

Old 12-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For non all out racing on a 455 a 1 7/8 tube size is all you ever need, and for the sake of easyer fit, 1 3/4" tubes are good also.
Do not fret over equal tube lenght as there effect on power below 5000 rpm is nothing!
A well shaped clean welded collector of 3" ID is far more inportant, as is a 3 inch ID straight exh tube lenght of 18" after the collector before pumping the exh into a X pipe, or worse yet a muffler.
Also if you have the bucks buy them, or get them ciramic coated as this has been shown to cut under hood temps by well over 300 degrees at times of sitting, or low front airflow times.
This factor alone if your motor draws in underhood air can totally negate the gain in power from having the headers in the first place!!!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to HJones1313

For what it's worth, I have a pair of Hooker Super comps for my D-port-headed '70, ceramic coated, and they have to be the easiest headers to install that I've ever had. They slide in without lifting the motor in minutes, they look great, and clearance for the clutch and remote oil filter adapter is excellent.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Suspended

I have to agree , I had, Hooker super comps in my 73 GTO when I had D-port heads & they were fairly easy to put in & sealed up good. I have them hanging in the garage right now for sale . I went with E-heads for my new build but the Hooker SC are my choice if your looking for some I'd sell mine for $ 275.00 plus shipping. They only have about 30 hours total on them.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:12 PM

Default headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I have to agree , I had, Hooker super comps in my 73 GTO when I had D-port heads & they were fairly easy to put in & sealed up good. I have them hanging in the garage right now for sale . I went with E-heads for my new build but the Hooker SC are my choice if your looking for some I'd sell mine for $ 275.00 plus shipping. They only have about 30 hours total on them.
I do appreciate your response and I am interested in your headers......do you know the part number on these and also do you have a couple of pictures available>
Scott

Old 12-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Suspended

The part number of the headers I have are 4108, there just the reg. painted black headers. When I pulled them off they had been on the car for about a year but the total running time on them were some where around 30-40 hours as the engine they were on had some problems. The cam was going flat & I didn't figure it out right away so I didn't get a chance to put a lot of miles on the engine as it wasn't running right, so every time I took it out it was for just short drives because it ran so bad. So When I did get the car running it was with a different engine & heads so the new exhaust was round port stuff so these got hung up in the garage . but from now on when I build an engine it is going to be round port stuff as I like them so much better. If you want to contact me direct you can at my reg. email address. rexs73gto@sbcglobal.net. Thanks Rex.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Meineke on Stefko Blvd can bend a very good exhaust. Also if you get a painted header, the factory paint usually burns off quickly, so sand blast them then wipe them down with a solvent and use VHT exhaust paint. When applied correctly it lasts many years (mine 15yrs).

Last edited by straycat; 12-20-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 12-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Put a set of those Flowtech's on this 71 Lemans. Fit good and don't hang down. Look nice too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhyH8xInPQg

Old 12-24-2013, 03:25 PM

put that set on a 68 column shift automatic only set that would fit .fit well no problems .