Old 12-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1979 Stock Radio question

Im doing some research for a friend on his '79 T/A. He has a RPO "U58" option radio. I do see its a stereo in my book. He will be putting this car back to stock. I would like to know if the RPO U58 was a 2 speaker ( front and DS rear) set up, or 3, 4 speakers? I do know many had just one in the rear due to the spare, this car has the "space saver" spare... The U58 Stereo radio, its just a radio, no 8 track??
Thanks for any help.. FB

Old 12-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Suspended

Wink

Quick Check of my source material showed only AM/FM Stereo...nothing about speakers, etc.

Perhaps this will help you: http://www.tran-zam.com/1979/1979OptList.htm

The Following User Says Thank You to Alvin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I understand it,ALL stereo radios & tape players came with 2 (1 front and 1 rear) speakers...

Dual rear speakers first appeared optionally in 79,I think...UP8 for $38.00...they should be on the invoice or build sheet if factory installed ..

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
As I understand it,ALL stereo radios & tape players came with 2 (1 front and 1 rear) speakers...

Dual rear speakers first appeared optionally in 79,I think...UP8 for $38.00...they should be on the invoice or build sheet if factory installed ..
it is interesting that they only used 1 in the rear thru the years seeing how they always had 2 speakers holes in the rear deck from day one. just saying.........

Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971WARBIRD View Post
it is interesting that they only used 1 in the rear thru the years seeing how they always had 2 speakers holes in the rear deck from day one. just saying.........
My "thoughts" on that are that unless you DO have a space saver spare, you could NOT get dual speakers "79. The regular size spare does hit the Right rear speaker. I am just proposing there could have been an RPO conflict, where you must order a space saver to get the "RPO UP8" any more thoughts? I will be looking at the build sheet again soon, thanks for all the comments!

Old 12-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Suspended

To know for sure if you needed to have the space saver spare or not you need an order book to see all the adds fro the items to added or subtracted when certain items were ordered with others. If you have one of those you will know for sure. It would tell you which items you'd need to order with the others to get the duel rear speakers or not or if you could even get them with just the reg. stereo.

The Following User Says Thank You to rexs73gto For This Useful Post: