Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default DMC HEI Distributor???

I bought one of the DMC HEI Distributors off of Ebay. I wanted to have a spare and the price is great, if they are any good.

Anyone here using one? If so, comments?

One feature that they advertised is: :"have a 4340 Chrome Moly gear which will work with cast and billet cams."

If that is true, that alone would be worth the cost of the distributor. Anyone using a Chrome Molly Gear on a roller cam? Is it working OK?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs down ebay HEI

I had an Ebay HEI for a while(price was great) and after about a year I weird developed a miss. wires and plugs were OK so.......

just swapped out to a Factory HEI from a 76 TA and never looked back.
Ironically got the used HEI for 50 bucks delivered and just popped it in and
instantly miss was gone. Later sent to Suntuned to setup and has been great.

Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
Old 07-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd MUCH rather have a "good used" genuine Delco HEI than a brand-new Communist Chinese knockoff.

Some of those knockoffs use non-standard dimensions for the internal parts. You have a problem, you can't buy a replacement part that actually fits the knockoff.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've posted my rave reviews on Skip Whites distributors he sells on ebay in previous threads, and our luck with them continues without problems. Between all the club members and friends purchasing them, we have probably about 15 in use right now. Every distributor I've tested on my Sun distributor matching has been exact on the advance curve, and the included adjustable vacuum advance has a little more range than the Accel offered through Summit or Jegs. We did have one DOA module, but he sent out a replacement module and it came to life with the replacement. Here's the ebay item for the distributor: White's HEI distributor.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Skip white here as well.I did take it apart and drilled some oiling holes for the bushings.Also removed some debris from their machining process.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lust4speed, The White's HEI appears to be very similar to the one I bought, except the White's has a Lifetime warranty and as far as I know the DMC has none. I wish I had bought the White's HEI instead.

White's HEI also says: 4340 Chromoly Steel bottom Gear, for use with cast and Steel Billet Cams

Is anyone in your group running a Steel Billet Cam with the White's HEI?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone using this Distributor Gear with a Billet Solid Roller Cam?