Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM

Default Rear springs question

We just finished the ground up restoration of dads original 71 GTO and after a 700 mile "break in" I stopped at a friends shop and put the girl up on a lift just to have a look underneath and I noticed that the rear springs fall out of the top perches and we had to hold them in place while we lowered the car back onto the ground. Is this normal? What would or should stop this from happening?

"Buffy" 1969 Firebird vert (mine) Not a clean one owner. Born Carousel Red, 350 2bbl, A/T, P/S, P/B, A/C. Now, Primer gray. Will have a 400, 5 sp, P/S, P/B, A/C, Black with carousel red pin stripes.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default Yup

My 71 400 car does the exact same thing. Its funny the coil allways seats correct when lowering the car.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Seems weird to me!

"Buffy" 1969 Firebird vert (mine) Not a clean one owner. Born Carousel Red, 350 2bbl, A/T, P/S, P/B, A/C. Now, Primer gray. Will have a 400, 5 sp, P/S, P/B, A/C, Black with carousel red pin stripes.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:15 PM

The replacement shocks may be too long.

The shocks are the only thing that limits the down travel of the rear axle assembly.