Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 PM

Default air dam of judge 1970 fits on 71 lemans

anyone have installed the 1970 judge air dam on a 1971 lemans 1971 lemans gm part number was 9790696

Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ive seen them on cars but have never done it, i think it could be done easy, ive seen the bottom of both valances, and they are very simular..but...dont buy one and try it on my response, i dont want that responsibility

I do know the judge spoiler works on the 70 lemans valance...ive done it...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 AM

Default reply to air dam

okay i will see if anyone has tried it looks like from the photo in the sales book from py that there are holes in the center that should bolt to the 71 frame just no hole at the corners most likely can drill them out just hate to buy another part and not be able to use it i have the 69 baffle and its no use for the 71 lemans thanks for your reply

Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Senior Chief

About 15 years ago some old guy gave me the front air dam off a 70 and I put it in my 71. It bolted up using the factory holes .2

Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 PM

Default air dam

thanks I was waiting to hear from someone as the 70 air dam for the judge looked like it would work except for the middle bolts as the 71 air dam as middle bots along with bolts on left and rite of the air dam for fyi for anyone with 71 lemans the 68-69 air dam baffle py sells for i believe 35 can also be installed as i took some time today really looked at it the 68 69 baffle not as thick as 70 air dam but think it will work to push air up to radiator and also for sporty look the baffle comes with some clips and bolts if you take the silver clip and bolt it to the blots at each end of the car with a 3/4 nut u can then use the bolt and clip and bolt the air dam to bottom holes of air dam the other three holes line of along the radiator support and u can bolt the 3 remaining bolts using the clips that came with the air dam dont know why one of these companies havent molded the correct air dam for the 71-72 lemans and gto seems like they could get plenty of sales

Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

71-72 front valences have a different taper so the very ends do not bolt to anything on a 71 and up. Also, the middle bolt holes, none on the 72 at all. I have one on using the bolt holes on the sides of valences and it worked fine.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are we talking bolting to the LeMans valence or to the Endura one.

I'd love to see a picture of one on a LeMans - I think it would look pretty good.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

it fits the T41 front end without much trouble at all. I don't know about the Lemans front end. I suppose you could find a picture on TUGTOPS and see if there is one.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM

Default air dam

if u purchase the 68-69 air dam not judge air dam you can install it on a 71 lemans there is a bolt on each end of the support directly behind where the factory air dam was placed the bilts have the nut going to the rear and the thread end comes thru facing the front of the vehicle if u use the clamp that comes with the airdam can then bolt the bottom of the air dam to the clip and secure a total of 5 bolts i placed mine after really looking at it and was able to insteadd of junking the part i brought using it as mention its not as solid as the original part or even the 70 judge air dam spoiler but if u brought one by error u can use it looks fine on the vehicle if u can't get the factory piece or try the judge 70 piece u have this one if u want it

Old 11-17-2012, 03:37 PM

Ok guys...bring me up to speed here..

I just shattered my 71-72 Endura Radiator Support Air Baffle on the GTO..

Are you saying that the 69 baffle works??? or the 70 Judge baffle (air dam) works??? or what here?

Which one works best and looks most correct?

Thanks

Old 11-17-2012, 04:03 PM

I have installed a repro. 1969 radiator support air baffle on a 71 LeMans. The original was beat and I coudn't find one to replace is so I went this rout and it worked great. I had to use a dremel tool to put a little notch on the corners, but that is it. I have a great pic of it with the car in the air, but Im having trouble posting it.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0235.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	303321 hope this helps

Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat A. View Post
Attachment 303321 hope this helps

Thanks a bunch, Pat!!!!

It does look as though it will be what I too have to go with!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That one looks more correct than the 70 one for sure. That looks like a good alternative. May not need to do much modification on an endura front....if you get one let us know how it fits.