THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Left lane is for passing only....not to cruise in, no matter if you`re in a car or on a bike,....if you are not passing get in the right lane!....people cruising in the right lane slows ALL traffic down....its a trickle down effect

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
i'm saying if you're driving the speed limit you have every right to be on the road. if your doing the max speed allowed by law you shouldn't be clogging traffic cause that's as fast as you're suppose to be going. anyone getting angry at you is jeopardizing your life cause they are in such a hurry that they don't care about the consequences of their actions.
you are wrong!

IF you are not passing stay in the right lane. driving the speed limit in the left lane is not a right.....what if someone has a dying person in the car and NEEDS to go over the limit......its not the "legal" persons duty to block traffic....and if you do that in Europe you`ll get a ticket.....you should get one here too!

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 04-11-2011, 11:05 AM

To me, the leader of the pack is responsible. Someone in the group should speak up at the next stop and tell it like it is. Lots of junk goes on when on interstate and where is the highway patrol when the pace is too slow. What was the name of the actor in "highway patrol" in the 50's?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:07 AM

I remember, Mathew Broderick?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Matthew Broderick was Ferris Bueller.

You're thinking of Broderick Crawford.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
you are wrong!

IF you are not passing stay in the right lane. driving the speed limit in the left lane is not a right.....what if someone has a dying person in the car and NEEDS to go over the limit......its not the "legal" persons duty to block traffic....and if you do that in Europe you`ll get a ticket.....you should get one here too!
x2... Emergency vehicles get caught in the 10 mile back-up because the left-laners fail to keep right

Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Idiot was the biker I saw a few yrs ago on the interstate riding with a laptop surfing the internet!
wow...thats go to take the "DARWIN AWARD!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 AM

A senior moment, in th room just on another page lol. Thanks. Broderick Crawford. Anyone else rember that show?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:06 PM

it may not make many drivers happy, but if they were close to but still under the speed limit, you really have no leg to stand on. Now if they were going significantly under the speed limit, that's another issue.

I've been on both sides of this coin and can the arguments both way. That said, I'm one of those who always makes an attempt to let faster moving traffic go by (on a bike it sometimes takes a little longer since you have worse rearview visibility... I'm talking sportbike here, not cruiser. Though, it should not require 20 miles!)

The other issue you may find is there are quite a few cops who own bikes. I've met several at these sort of group rides and if they are obeying the law and you do something stupid they won't hesitate to call in your tag.

In general, I get frustrated with *anyone*, bike or car, who plays the speed-matching game with other lanes of traffic, but as long as I'm moving the speed limit I just let it go.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
it may not make many drivers happy, but if they were close to but still under the speed limit, you really have no leg to stand on. Now if they were going significantly under the speed limit, that's another issue.

I've been on both sides of this coin and can the arguments both way. That said, I'm one of those who always makes an attempt to let faster moving traffic go by (on a bike it sometimes takes a little longer since you have worse rearview visibility... I'm talking sportbike here, not cruiser. Though, it should not require 20 miles!)

The other issue you may find is there are quite a few cops who own bikes. I've met several at these sort of group rides and if they are obeying the law and you do something stupid they won't hesitate to call in your tag.

In general, I get frustrated with *anyone*, bike or car, who plays the speed-matching game with other lanes of traffic, but as long as I'm moving the speed limit I just let it go.
wrong...the law says "slower traffic keep to the right" and "Left lane for passing only"...then there are signs saying "obey traffic signs ,state law"...

the left lane is only for when you pass other vehicles, its NOTa driving lane, its a PASSING lane....even though MANY in this country have a hard time understanding it. It will take MANY tickets to get this corrected...

and reasons cops are reluctant to enforce this is because they like to hug the left lane , checking oncoming traffic for speeders.
They should get ticketed too , if driving there w/o passing....but who will get them? In Sweden people would turn the cops in , get their lic plates etc....

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 04-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
wrong...the law says "slower traffic keep to the right" and "Left lane for passing only"...then there are signs saying "obey traffic signs ,state law"...

the left lane is only for when you pass other vehicles, its NOTa driving lane, its a PASSING lane....even though MANY in this country have a hard time understanding it. It will take MANY tickets to get this corrected...

and reasons cops are reluctant to enforce this is because they like to hug the left lane , checking oncoming traffic for speeders.
They should get ticketed too , if driving there w/o passing....but who will get them? In Sweden people would turn the cops in , get their lic plates etc....

Bjorn, that's 100% correct. I am amazed at how many people are ignorant of this simple rule of the road. The left is for passing. Period. Your speed is of little consequence, as long as you're passing.

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I passed a State Trooper once on the right lane as he was in left lane cruising around 53 in a 65 and shooting radar. Near where I lived and he was out of a local Troop.

He had traffic backed up so far on I85 South I couldnt beleive it.

Man..... did he get mad and shot up next to me waving his finger and screaming something...lol

I threw my arms up like...what am I to do? He never pulled me. I reported his hide too.

This very one got into troble later due to some "anger management" issues after beating on a citizen who came out in his PJs to see what was going on in his driveway (a wreck Trooper was working).

Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
I passed a State Trooper once on the right lane as he was in left lane cruising around 53 in a 65 and shooting radar. Near where I lived and he was out of a local Troop.

He had traffic backed up so far on I85 South I couldnt beleive it.

Man..... did he get mad and shot up next to me waving his finger and screaming something...lol

I threw my arms up like...what am I to do? He never pulled me. I reported his hide too.

This very one got into troble later due to some "anger management" issues after beating on a citizen who came out in his PJs to see what was going on in his driveway (a wreck Trooper was working).
1) yup, what I said earlier...but HE was breaking the law....
2) yes,some cops dont even understand that law...it illegal to drive in the passing lane...but its NOT illegal to pass in the driving lane! at least not yet...
some cops have given tickets for it..but those have been throw out in court...if you get a ticket for it ,go to court!
the signs stating "Left lane for passing only" is very badly written , and means you should only drive there when passing , it doesnt not mean only left lane is for passing ...English can be tricky, as it is obviously....

the old signs "slower traffic keep to the right", werent totally free from misunderstanding either....but if ANYBODY driving faster than you, (that inccludes speeders or if you are speeding also!) come up behind you (faster) ,you are slower traffic! = keep to the right.

this thing has been my pet peeve for over 40 yrs.

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't get me started on cops riding extra slow in the left lane. The motorcycle scenario happened Saturday. I was delivering a customer's '67 GTO to Charleston, SC on Friday. Had his car on my trailer and we were driving south on I26 through Columbia. All the way around the western side of town on 26 there was a county cop in the left lane going way slower than traffic should have been traveling. So here I am trying to keep my nose clean and keep his car safe, and here comes people flying past me in sedans on my left and tractor trailers on my right and the people hauling a$$ in the left lane fly past me, see the cop and slam on thier brakes and cut me off to not ride the cops bumper. What a dangerous scenario. I found the nearest rest stop to do just that. I was a nervous wreck. All because this guy couldn't at least keep a steady pace. I honestly was not watching my speedometer on this occasion because I was too busy trying to not run over jerkoffs in Hondas and BMWs and keep from side swiping a semi in the process.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodrx View Post
A senior moment, in th room just on another page lol. Thanks. Broderick Crawford. Anyone else rember that show?
Yup. "2150 by!"

Do you remember that they drove Buick police cars?

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This discussion is going all over the place (Prius owners? Bicyclists?) but I think the main point should be that it was a bad idea for them to be riding in a single pack that big, particularly in the left lane - it's fine to go out on a group ride, but in my opinion they should break up into smaller batches so they don't turn into a rolling road block.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They must have been a Honda Gold Wing club. You would have had trouble keeping up with us if we were on I-75 in the left lane!

Maybe they were looking for a Dairy Queen and didn't want to blow by the exit driving too fast?....LOL.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Definetly Harleys.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:

It does not give you a right to break the speed limit, though. So if the bikes are doing the speed limit and you are also obeying the speed limit as you should, then YOU are not passing and should not be in the left lane either. Therefore, you would still be behind the motorcycles in the regular travel lane.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But they wernt go'n the speed limit

Go through this every day to/from work.
The state and county cruisers tail gate the idiots till they move, sometimes flash thier lites, then continue on.
Like many others have said, even if your drive'n the limit in left lane on fed(and all state hwys i been on), and a faster car comes up behind, BY LAW, you have to move over when safe.
Get a drivers manual and study if you cant read road signs.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100

Last edited by Region Warrior; 04-12-2011 at 12:28 PM.