THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Arkansas Ice Racing

http://www.comcast.net/video/cars-cr...st/1788657302/

notice what they all do wrong?? except the last two , pick up and U haul truck, who did it right.

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6

Last edited by Bjorn; 02-10-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like the you tube from last winter in Seattle. One car hit either 7 or 9 cars. Come over a hill (and they have'm in Seattle) and slid about 2 blocks. Like bumper cars.

Seeing the tires locked up means no abs. Neutral, steer gently and tap brakes so you can steer.

Great video. :-))

Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Suspended

Ice and sliding means no brakes ! got to keep them wheels turning ! but the ranger was 4 wdrive and proves just because you can get up and go doesn't mean your gonna stop ! and abs leads to more crashes as it stop the wheel and releases it and half the time the wheel won't start to turn again .

Old 02-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yup, too much braking.....looking at the ones who did not slide into others ,all wheels were turning...locked wheels = no control....

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, on roads like that either stay home or.... keep yer foot off the brakes and head for the 'rhubarb'. And hopefully you'll miss anything on the way out to it. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Yep, on roads like that either stay home or.... keep yer foot off the brakes and head for the 'rhubarb'. And hopefully you'll miss anything on the way out to it. LOL
run over my Rhubarb and you be seeing stars .. love the stuff and its hard to grow over here . hit the mailbox I don't like Bills and the pole is easier to replace . .

Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My buddy Mike Cooney shot all that video. It was originally on our newspaper's web site and wend viral from there.

Yes, people in Arkansas can NOT drive in the snow.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From all the pic's and video's I have seen. It seems that no one in the contingent 48 states really knows how to to it. Upper New England and uppper midwest exempt. The rest of them from Mass. south and midwest.......well.........Northwest is just as bad.

ABS does not stand for the Almighty Brake System as many seem to think.

Interesingly enough, regardless of the location in North America, when the first skiff of snow appears all kinds of people are in the ditch, median and the back end of someone in front of them. Couple of weeks and it all settles down. Then normal winter driving occurs where they are used to the snow.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Being I grew up in the snowbelt (Erie PA 100-200 inches of snow each season) and drove many laps on a wet clay dirt track I just laugh at these people. The guys in the ranger and cube van either raced dirt track or learned to drive up north, notice the cube van driver judiciously applied throttle when he was in the oversteer position. He had control and he was actually moving faster than the people that were uncontrolled, sliding and wrecking. If the wheels ain't turnin neither are you...LOL

Recently on here someone made the reference of how you can tell northern drivers from southern drivers on snow? I believe it went something like this, A southern driver is just barely creeping along, white knuckled and slams on the brakes if the car slips a fraction of an inch, the northern driver hands you his beer and says "hey, watch this!!!!!!!!"............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 02-12-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:03 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Being I grew up in the snowbelt (Erie PA 100-200 inches of snow each season) and drove many laps on a wet clay dirt track I just laugh at these people. The guys in the ranger and cube van either raced dirt track or learned to drive up north, notice the cube van driver judiciously applied throttle when he was in the oversteer position. He had control and he was actually moving faster than the people that were uncontrolled, sliding and wrecking. If the wheels ain't turnin neither are you...LOL

Recently on here someone made the reference of how you can tell northern drivers from southern drivers on snow? I believe it went something like this, A southern driver is just barely creeping along, white knuckled and slams on the brakes if the car slips a fraction of an inch, the northern driver hands you his beer and says "hey, watch this!!!!!!!!"............
you forgot the light a cigarette part ... LOl the Ice stormof 95 when I was in Alabama , the only people moving all had northern license plates , yes there where some sothern plates thrownin the mix but they where moving towards the ditch , when I had the alabama state trooper ask me what I was doing when I was appling chains to my wheels hes like whats that gonna do??? ..... I told him its gonna get my but back into Chicago by morning ... I was actually home by 12 o clock that evening .

Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

Recently on here someone made the reference of how you can tell northern drivers from southern drivers on snow?
I believe it went something like this, A southern driver is just barely creeping along, white knuckled and slams on the brakes if the car slips a fraction of an inch, the northern driver hands you his beer and says "hey, watch this!!!!!!!!"............
I think you can tell by looking at the wheels...lol northern drivers wheel move, a southern drivers wheels are locked! LOL

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stimpy, that was just a finger of speech. Like you I love rhubarb too.... especially a good rughbarb pie, with no friggin strawberries in it. Which I haven't had in a long time. Can't find anyone here in DE that grows it, has it to sell or give way so I can grow it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Suspended

I know its i figure of speech , on the farm we had the plants and they grew up by the road and one year the county decided to mow the ditches and the idiot saw the scraggly plants and mowed them down . oh my grandma was gonna skin that boy alive ! as he drove behind our fence to do it .. guy got a ass chewing from her , my grandpa , and his boss . needless no pie or jelly that year . like you I love rhubarb pie with out the berries . only place I can find it around here is up in lower michigan at a little truckstop I used to hit ( Ma's truckstop m-43 @I-196 in South Haven michigan they also made bluberry pies ) , if I know I was traveling that way I would call them an order 2 to go and stop and get me a couple of slices .. as for the plants , a company called Bork used to sell them ( out of Iowa ) I cannot grow it here because of the clay soil , has to be loamy/sandy to grow it . if your ever this way northern Indian is known for the stuff in th amish areas