Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Default '76 T/A Exhaust questions - RAIII manifolds, single exhaust crossflow

Note: We're in California. 2.5" system.
Hey, so, on our 76 T/A with a Pontiac 400, the car has to have stock exhaust manifolds with the y pipe to the single cat to the crossflow in the back that hangs vertically. We have the log manifolds, and are going to change to the RAIII manifolds, only because we can't run headers, and the smog people will never know the difference.

The issue that I have is that the ypipe that goes from the manifolds to the cat is really crappy, like really restrictive. YearOne has a Magnaflow pipe, which is the Magnaflow 16448 pipe, which is supposed to be a 2.5" pipe for a 2.5"/3" system for the stock manifolds to go to the single cat, and is only listed on like 95% of websites that have it for the 1976-1976 Firebird with the 400.

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=4
I only feel really tentative unsure about this because it's listed only for this year and this motor.

Is this the correct pipe for what we want?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 PM

Note: We're in California. 2.5" system.
Hey, so, on our 76 T/A with a Pontiac 400, the car has to have stock exhaust manifolds with the y pipe to the single cat to the crossflow in the back that hangs vertically. We have the log manifolds, and are going to change to the RAIII manifolds, only because we can't run headers, and it is legal to have the RAIII manifolds.

The issue that I have is that the ypipe that goes from the manifolds to the cat is really crappy and small. YearOne has a Magnaflow pipe, which is the Magnaflow 16448 pipe, which is supposed to be a 2.5" pipe for a 2.5"/3" system for the stock manifolds to go to the single cat, and on most websites that have it, they list it exactly for the 1976-1976 Firebird with the 400.

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=4
I only feel really tentative unsure about this because it's listed only for this year and this motor. It seems like it's too good to be true.

Is this the correct pipe for what we want?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM

not sure about the pipe but VERY sure I would not want to live in Ca. it would be awful dealing with those draconian regulations

Old 12-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can't run true duals with cats on both sides?

Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonneville Joe View Post
You can't run true duals with cats on both sides?
cant move the cats from stock location iirc

Old 12-07-2010, 05:11 PM

No, you can't run dual exhaust. I don't think you can run dual cats either. I think it has to be this way. Anyway, the car is already set up this way, and I hate dual exhaust because it hangs down super low too.

They are draconian regulations, they really are. I think it also depends on the car too. My sister's 78 T/A is an Olds 403, and has dual exhaust, but for some reason for her car it's legal. She has Thorley smog-legal headers and dual exhaust, and she also has an air-pump.
My 76 was a New York car, so it never had an air pump.

Does everyone just run X-pipe style dual exhausts? I may just have to call up YearOne and ask. I was hoping someone knew.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM

I hate dual exhaust because it hangs down super low too.

Does everyone just run X-pipe style dual exhausts? I may just have to call up YearOne and ask. I was hoping someone knew.[/QUOTE]

on my 79 I have a 3'xpipe exhaust the ground clearance is as good or beter than the stock y pipe setup