Old 06-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 70 GTO Horn relay/key buzzer

I need some help on this please. My key buzzer was not functioning, so I removed the steering wheel and installed a new buzzer switch (Grounded #4 terminal to determine if it was the switch or not). While I was at it, I removed the relay on the firewall and cleaned up the plug connections and grounds. Reassembled everything and now my horns won't work or the key buzzer. I ground the #4 post on relay and buzzer sounds. Ground #2 post and horns sound. Open door and dome lamp lights, car starts, etc all else seems normal. This acts like somethings bad from the relay to the column/horn buttons. Any ideas on what to look at? Could it be the horn contact collar in the column? Should I unplug the column harness and check continuity there? If I need to take the wheel back off and look, any checks I can make as I'm assembling to make sure things work?

Appreciate any suggestions,

Old 06-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Test at the column connector. Check column side of connector with an ohm meter/continuity tester. Do horn wire to ground and mash horn button. With button mashed you should have continuity with little to no resistance. If it stays open, problem is in column; broke wire or horn contacts. Grounding horn wire on body side of connector, should trip the horn relay.

Key buzzer; at column connector, check for continuity across wires to key buzzer, with and without key in switch. Should have continuity with key only. Jumper across buzzer wires on body side of connector will replicate key in switch and buzzer should work.

Test and see which way you need to go. It'll be up the column or through firewall.
Let us know what you find.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you quicksilver for the help, I will work on it first thing in the morning and post back.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a note
If jumping buzzer wires on body side of column connector doesn't work, try grounding wire to buzzer. Wire to door jamb switch may not be getting grounded for some reason.
Just something easy to check before getting into the other more difficult things.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Problems Fixed!

OK, I checked everything out like quicksilver said. All problems led to the column being the culprit. Took the wheel, turn signal switch, cancel cam back off. On the key buzzer, the ignition cylinder wasn't contacting the buzzer. It was pushed in too far. Pulled it back out about a 1/16" and buzzer worked. On the horn, I cleaned up the cancel cam and contact on signal switch. Found the spring was pretty weak in the turn signal switch button that hits the backside of the cancel cam. Took out the spring and pulled it apart a little bit. Checked continuity on everything with each piece I put on, and its together and all working. Appreciate the help quicksilver.