Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Yet Another Help Me with Qjet ?

Ok so sometimes I realize Im not as smart as i think. Stumped on troubleshooting here.
Basically same symptoms on two cars: 79 Cadillac and 74 Grandville.
After being driven infrequently on the GV and daily on the Fleetwood both developed an inability to idle. Anything beyond the idle circuits and work fine. I figure time for a cleanout so pulled carb, disassembled and through? cleaning with air pressure cleaning thru all passages. Starts right up on choke and even after 10 min warmup tries to die like out of fuel. tip in choke and speed increases to about 1000 rpm and smooth, open up choke and you can hear it starve again. After a very brisk drive around the block it hits the driveway at a very high idle then falls back to acting starved at idle. All posssible vacuum connections verified. It seems like there is a fuel crossover passage somewhere blocked but darned if I know where to look after what Im thought was such a careful cleaning. Maybe I missed something?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Suspended

Best lesson ive leaned when rebuilding a carb. always pull the idle tubes, Ive pulled about 3 dozen on carbs. and cannot believe whar ive found! Sounds like starving for fuel , start there or find a wire around .032 to.035 in dia, and make sure it go,s all the way thru to the bottom , if not there,s your problem.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cruiser View Post
Best lesson ive leaned when rebuilding a carb. always pull the idle tubes, Ive pulled about 3 dozen on carbs. and cannot believe whar ive found! Sounds like starving for fuel , start there or find a wire around .032 to.035 in dia, and make sure it go,s all the way thru to the bottom , if not there,s your problem.
you are probably right about that, Ive always figured if carb cleaner sprays all the way thru the passage and like wise high pressure air it must be open enough but thats about the only remaining possibility.