Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice SD James, and what a collection!

Yep - someone in your SD cars' past thought they'd make a hot rod out of it by removing that secondary air valve link - NOT! It will run MUCH better with that link in place, and everything properly adjusted.

Cliff Ruggles will have that air valve link for you - cliffshp@embarqmail.com

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 08-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutybob View Post
Jay:

The 186 mile car has a black master cylinder. We paint them semi gloss black. It also has the steering intermediate shaft painted black. Most have been painting them with a natural steel look or clear coating the steel shaft. I took several photos of original fasteners on the upper rad support area. Let me know if you want to see any. I will post later this evening.

I would like to see them Bob.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would too, I'll take the same pics of the 11k mile car to compare.

Mike

Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard61 View Post
Jay,

I'll dust it off tonight and get you a better photo of the master cylinder. I have been planning on getting all my cars running this fall. I really havn't done anything to them since I pulled them from storage. the SD is an exception in that it actually starts and runs pretty well.

I'll post the photo after I get home from work.

Also, I replaced most of the vacuum lines that were bad and to eliminate a vacuum leak in the TCS switch if I remember right. So I'm the culprit there.

James
Check the brake proportioning valve finish as well.

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 08-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up That's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx View Post
Yes, I did mention it to him. He hasn't driven/started the car in 15 years-now he has the itch to drive the car and I offered to help him sort it out. I get the feeling that the car, other than his changes, is basically untouched from new. Additionally, he has every piece of paperwork on the car.

I casually mentioned that he should try and get the car to the nationals next year...we'll see.

Funny thing is I got out of work late and almost didn't go to the show...man you just never know what you'll run into

Mike
what this hobby is all about!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Chief

Hello Lloyd,

Thanks for Cliff's name, I'll e-mail him this evening.

Jay,

I have attached some close-ups of the master cylinder and the proportioning valve. To my eye the master cylinder is definitely Semi-Gloss. The proportioning valve and it's mounting plate are or were an as cast finish and the plate had what looks like maybe just a clear protective coating. It looks just like a bent piece of sheetmental. I put it up on my lift if you guys need any pictures of anything on the underside. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, my car was undercoated at the dealership and it can be hard to see the origional finish of some things. Youll see in my next post I also took some pictures of the steering gear. I had to remove some undercoating to get to the origional finish.

Let me know if you need more.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sd MasterCylinder.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	140472   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd MasterCylinder1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	140473   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd PerportValve.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	140474   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd PerportValve1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	140475   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd on Lift.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	140476  

Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Senior Chief

On to the steering gear. To me everything looks to have an as cast finish to it, with the exception maybe of the drag link, which has kind of a blueish tone to it. That could be the light I was using and maybe a reflection off of the blue of the engine.

James
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sd DragLink.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	140477   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd IdlerArm.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	140478   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd PittmanArm.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	140479   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd SteeringBox.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	140480   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd TieRod.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	140481  

Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

both the center and drag link should show some blue tones, heat treatment process i believe. i cleaned all my steering gear of surface rust and crud with a wire wheel, degreased them then sprayed them with a cheap silver paint followed by wiping that off quickly while it was wet. that process filled the pits and it has held a "dirty" natural color for ten years now. am i seeing black phosphate or black semi gloss on the hood hinges? glad to know my memory of black master cylinders and steering link wasn't erroneous.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

James,

This pic is great!. It shows a lot of what I have been wondering. The master cylinder color, the blue inspection splotch(exact color) and mainly that these cars did come with a booster that is etched Delco Moraine.

Thanks again..this is great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sd%20MasterCylinder.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	140483  

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 08-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Chief

Great Jay,

Glad to help. If you need anything else just let me know.

James

Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It appears that the idler arm has been replaced on your car as it is not the original style. Do you know? It also has blue shocks where the 186 mile car had gray. Have those been replaced as well?

Great pictures!

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Senior Chief

Hello Bob,

It does look different doesn't it? It also did not have any undercoating on it so I think you are correct. I have not replaced the idler arm or the shocks so I'll have to pull my information that came with the car to see what I can find.

Anyway, thanks, I'm making a list to put everything right on the car, so your input is appreciated.

Regards,

James

Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutybob View Post
There is a local guy here in town that just purchased an Ad Blue SD auto with only 186 original miles. No, that was not a typo. I said 186 miles. We took several pictures as reference material. Very cool.
Bob, any idea how many owners this car has had?

Mike

Old 08-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey James, what is your ceiling height in the garage and the maker of the lift.

Thanks

Bub
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike:

I believe that the current owner is just the second owner. I'm fairly certain that it was purchased from the original owner. Not cheap but how many of these are you going to run across.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 08-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

Hello Bub,

I am still watching your build closely. What you are doing is getting me motivated to start my projects.

If I remember correctly I tried to build the pole barn with 12 ft ceilings but the county I live in came back on the permit and limited me on the height of the eaves on the outside. I really didn't understand why, but the net effect was the clearence is 11' 4" now. The lift is made by Direct Lift. It is a 7,000# capacity and I bought two sliding jacks that fit between the rails and allow you to lift the car completely off of the lift. They are worth the money because they make a four post lift mush more useable for service.

Thanks,

James

Old 08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard61 View Post
Hello Bub,

I am still watching your build closely. What you are doing is getting me motivated to start my projects.

If I remember correctly I tried to build the pole barn with 12 ft ceilings but the county I live in came back on the permit and limited me on the height of the eaves on the outside. I really didn't understand why, but the net effect was the clearence is 11' 4" now. The lift is made by Direct Lift. It is a 7,000# capacity and I bought two sliding jacks that fit between the rails and allow you to lift the car completely off of the lift. They are worth the money because they make a four post lift mush more useable for service.

Thanks,

James
Thanks for the info on the garage height and the lift. I plan on getting one to keep the car on and to put my vette underneath. I will have to do some cosmetics to the ceiling as mine is only 9 ft high.
My next step on my resto is re-attaching the subframe and assembly everything for alignment and start blocking, then take it apart and hopefully start painting sometime the first week of September. We shall see. I am still interested in learing the correct paint on some items myself. As I have been painting things to match what it looked like when I cleaned it up. I am painting some things to look like bare steel and some things black. As I have learned some of the items may be the other way around. I wont be 100% correct on all things but, I wasn't watching them build me car in 74 either.

Bub