Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default core support ID

I have 3 core supports. Two of them are the same (one came on a Lemans factory air car, the other was purchased on ebay) but the third came on my 64 GTO and is much wider where the radiator sits. I do not think it is the original core support for my GTO. All are supposed to be 64 supports. They all have the correct mounting holes for the headlights etc. Can someone tell me what this one with the wider support is. Here is a picture.

Thanks,
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64 parts 016.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	129284  

Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 PM

That support is for both '64 Lemans with factory A/C and '64 GTO.

It is big and square at the bottom to accept the taller 17.5" tall core, rather than curved with the upside-down U-channel construction like the type used for non-A/C V8s that used the shorter 15.5" core and six-banger cars too.

I have one of those on my '64 Lemans convertible that came with factory A/C.

I have the 'standard' curved support in my '64 GTO ('cloned' from a Lemans many years ago) that takes the smaller radiator.

Keep in mind that a 'true' 1964 GTO could easily have had the core support replaced during a trip to the bodyshop. My buddie's '64 GTO with factory A/C ended up with the shorter support after some repairs that were done many years ago.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks. Interesting that my factory air parts car came with the narrow core support. I would have guessed it was the original but this is the same car that came with right and left battery trays. The wide GTO one is rusted near the battery but I can use one of the others to repair it.

Thanks again,
Don

Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My understanding is that a/c could also be added by the dealer in '64 and '65, and the change over did not require changing out the core support (lemans)

Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also, the 6 cyl '64 A body with A/C used a thicker rad (2" vs. 1-1/4") but still 15-1/2" tall, so the same shorter core support (the Insulators were different).

Unless you know it was a V8 car originally, this would also explain a short core support in a factory A/C Lemans.

If it is a Pontiac or KC built car, the Data Plate Codes would confirm if it had factory A/C.

The RH side Battery Tray would suggest a 6 cyl car. If it came with a V8 in it and also a LH side Battery Tray, perhaps the V8 was swapped in to replace the 6 cyl and the core support is in fact the original and correct.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It was an original V8 car based on the VIN. Hard to imagine a dealer adding that AC with all that cutting on the cowl and firewall. It looks like it was done at the factory.

Thanks,
Don

Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Boost Engineer

My 64 Tri-Power car, (Non A/C) has the deep flat bottom core support in it.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is the same as Tom's - Deep core, tri-power, no A/C.