Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Looking for advice on 455

I was advised that I originally had this posted in the wrong forum. I hope I have found the correct one.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
I'm looking for advice/opinions on building up a 455 to drop into my 67 Lemans. I picked up most of a 455 to rebuild. It's a 1972 model and has a 2bbl intake and 7L4 heads. I've picked up a used Edelbrock Performer intake and a used AVS 800 carb. I'm still looking for some of the other parts missing from the engine (timing cover, oil pan pump pickup, etc.). I want to build up something with STOMP, way above the existing 326ci, without breaking the bank. The bank is already showing signs of "over-stressing"! I also want it to be an everyday driver with civil low-rpm behavior and will run on easy to find pump gas. I've put a 3.55 posi in the back and am about to put in a 2004R OD tranny.

So, what are the recommendations? Should I use the existing 7L4 heads? Standard or taller rockers? Cam? Should the heads be machined to reduce the 114cc chamber size? Would a rebuild to stock specs be the most balanced, or would I be giving up too much in available STOMP?

Thanks, Ya'll.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
First off, the lower the compression ratio the less octane you will need to run the engine without fear of detonation or knocking. This means that you can buy 87 octane rather than 93 or higher to run the engine. A simple rule of thumb is divide the octane by 10 to compute the approximate compression ratio. If you go with a monster cam in a low compression engine, you won't get much STOMP. I am running a Comp Cam XE268in a 9.3:1 compression ratio 455 + 0.030" overbore. I have plenty of low end torque using a cast iron stock intake manifold, log exhaust manifolds, Q-jet carb and points distrubutor. I have 3.55:1 diff and a M20 4-speed. At 60 mph the engine is turning about 2750 rpm in 4th gear. My overall gas mileage isn't great because I can't keep my foot out of it.
Good luck with your build. Welcome to the PY Forum.
Mike

Old 11-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Here ya go for results with a 8.5-1 compression 455 on 87 octane.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiac.../87octane.html

Change the came to a 274XE Comp and run mid to low 12's.

With fuel prices becoming stupid, A 12 second 87 octane ride that can go anywhere is the thing to do.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 AM

Default Appreciation

Thanks Runningbwdog and Pontiac Dude. I appreciate your comments. Don.