Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 11-12-2006, 11:14 PM

Default 1970 GTO Wheel/Rim fitment

I'm looking for some fitment help for my 1970 GTO. At the moment its s..l..o..w..l..y going through a frame off custom/restoration. I've decided to upgrade most of the suspension and have gone with the global west front and rear components. I'm at the point now where I need to order brakes, wheels and get this thing to a rolling chasis. I'm leaning towards the preassembled brake package that global west offers with the wilwood calipers, hats, rotors, and the modified GM tall spindles. For wheels I would like to run a set of Cragars with the following specs 17x9 with a 4.5bs wrapped in 285/40/17 on the rear and for the front a 17x8 with a 4.5bs wrapped in 245/45/17.

I've searched and read through a ton of threads and I think that with those specs I should not have any rubbing or fitment issues in the wheel wells? but I'm not sure on the fitment between the brakes and the inside of the wheels?

So anyone know if the above combination of brakes, wheels and tires will fit a 1970 GTO convertible?

Old 11-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Senior Chief

There are much better options out there now than the tall spindle. It was the hot set up 5 years ago. It does improve the camber curve but that is where the benefits stop. It has several drawbacks that more than offset this. Check out Pro-touring .com for tons of the latest and best information on suspension and brakes. You will see one of there sponsors is SC&C. Click on their link and look at their front suspension packages. You can also buy a bracket that allows you to bolt C5 corvette calipers to your stock spindles and use C4 13 inch rotors or C5 Corvette rotors depending on your wheel selection. You can also find there a chart of wheel fitment that is very helpful.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the info matrix, I'll check them out.