The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default MIG vs TIG

Isn't a TIG welder better for detail work? Things that you want to look good? I heard that the MIG is used primarily to tack things together.

Can a TIG welder be used in the same fashion as a MIG, if that's the only thing you have?

Trying to figure out which one is the better buy.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

TIG is the best hands down........you can do about anything you mihgt want to do using a TIG welder because a TIG welder is also a stick welder. TIG is way more prcice than MIG so detail work is best with TIG.
IF you want to go the cheap way you can use an AC/DC arc(stick) welder as a TIG welder......it just wont have the bells and whistles that a TIG machine will have. But, it wont have the fat pricetag either.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

what are we talkin for a good TIG? What model/brand is good for an automotive hobbyist?

Old 03-25-2006, 04:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just for a use at home for cars and general lighter duty work then a Miller EconoTig would be hard to beat for the price (about $1300). Lincoln makes a similar unit for the same price. If you want a little better machine then the Miller Syncrowave 200 is a great unit........a little more expensive they start at about $1800. It is a better machine than the EconoTig and can weld thicker stuff.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman26
Isn't a TIG welder better for detail work? Things that you want to look good? I heard that the MIG is used primarily to tack things together.

Can a TIG welder be used in the same fashion as a MIG, if that's the only thing you have?

Depends on what kind of work you want it for. They have different purposes.

For normal bodywork, MIG is easier and faster to use. If there's alot of welding to do on a car, I'd hate to be TIG welding the whole thing.

If you plan to do alot of aluminum or stainless welding, then a TIG. If not, you don't need a TIG.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can Tig almost as fast as I can Mig...........just takes some practice.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman26

From a use standpoint, the processes are completely different. MIG is brain-dead easy- pull the trigger, and drag a line (at its simplest). The filler material is automatically fed out through the gun, so everything is self-contained within the gun.
TIG, on the other hand, is more like conventional gas welding. The TIG torch is just that- only a heat source. You then need to use your other hand to manually feed the filler rod into the puddle that you have created with the arc.
TIG is infinitely more precise, and can do a lot more exotic metals. But- it also requires more practice and skill to master.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:09 AM

I would recomend a mig welder. For a beginner it is easier and you can weld anything you might come across. Just set it and forget it.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Suspended

TIG is two handed approach and requires more surface preparation than MIG. most body work except for the old lead seam in the roof is MIG or spot welds.