The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default Need some input

Car is a 65 Tempest. I ordered some Masters Series silver primer today, based on recommendations off this forum and how on their webpage they show a damn bridge painted with the stuff. Anyway... what's a good black chassis paint? Masters series says paint over the silver primer with anything; their chassis black is glossy, which i don't think is all that attractive or even 'correct' but i don't really know what's correct. i want it satin, i think.

If I paint my frame whith this stuff, can / should you weld through it then? Or is that a hassle. I figure metal should be bare for welding, but it'd be a hellof alot easier if I could detail the frame with the body apart, before the 8 point cage goes in...

thanks in advance everybody.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Master Series has two chassis black top coats. One is a high gloss, and the other is a satin. You can get the satin with the AG 111 product line. I've used it and it is excellent.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Senior Chief

Colin,

Master Series is great stuff. I did my frame with it and top coated with eastwoods Chasis Black. The eastwood product has a little more gloss than I prefer but I'm not building a show car so whats done is done.

I have used the Rustoleum Satin black on my rear and cross member and really like the results as far as looks go. It has a nice satin sheen to it and it's much cheaper than the Eastwood product or the Master Series for that matter.

Tony

Old 10-03-2005, 01:35 PM

As for welding through the Master Series primer... no, you really can't. We just did our underbody (new floow pans/trunk) and had to grind off before welding on the trunk mounting braces etc. In addition, we had to sand off and repaint the topside because the paint burned off where we spot welded from underneath.

Pete