Old 05-25-2005, 10:45 AM

Just dropped off my 1970 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air III on Saturday to Firebird Country. Thankfully, the search function worked on this board and a member contacted me about Rick Bowman. I was able to go back from Ontario and get my baby towed off Bowman's property and put a stop on the deposit cheque since he did not want to release the car. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH RICK BOWMAN! He is under investigation by numerous authorities.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:45 AM

Just dropped off my 1970 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air III on Saturday to Firebird Country. Thankfully, the search function worked on this board and a member contacted me about Rick Bowman. I was able to go back from Ontario and get my baby towed off Bowman's property and put a stop on the deposit cheque since he did not want to release the car. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH RICK BOWMAN! He is under investigation by numerous authorities.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow really? I've talked to him a few times on the phone and came close to buying and selling some stuff with him. Can you give us any specifics?

Old 05-25-2005, 01:47 PM

I can provide specifics. However, Firebird Country is not a licensed business in the state of Michigan and there are no licensed mechanics that work out of his barns. There are at least 20 Firebirds on his lot from various states and not one of them are near completion. Some of them have been there from several months to years.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:15 PM

OK, fellas, here's the skinny on my dealings with Bowman, and the current status. I spent a few months looking for the "right" 'bird. I had one in the past, and knew what I wanted. I also knew what I could do, and more importantly, couldn't. hence, I was looking for a completed car. I found Bowman's web site, and contacted him. We talked for several weeks about what I wanted, how he did the work, etc. I came up with a spec list, and got a price quote from him for the car, a 1971 Formula 400, and the rebuild. Not much more than if I put it together myself. I didn't go to look at the car as I was trying to save some money for the car (mistake #1). I paid in full (mistake 2, but a necessity), figuring I had would have the title, and the contract was very specific on what was to be done and the completion date, so if things fell apart I'd at least have the car. Before I paid I talked to the engine builder, who had the completed motor in his shop, he said he'd been doing biz with Bowman for a long time, and was pretty good. I talked to some folks who had done business with him, and were generally satisified. Not until after I paid did I start finding people who were upset and had been taken. We signed a contract in November 2002, completion date May 30, 2003. He said he'd get started on mine as soon as he finished 2 T/A's. In mid-December, my car still hadn't been started. He said it wasn't even in the shop yet, was still in upper Michigan, but would get brought down after X-mas. OK, still time. In January, excuse after excuse. February brought pics of a firebird that he said was mine, with CA plates. Wasn't the last owner in NC??? Hmmm... March, he said the car was finally in Lansing, but in storage. Still working on the T/A's. April, same story. May came, deadline passed, no car, no progress. We talked about the contract, dates, etc. I talked to a lwyer, who said that although he was in breech, it would be cheaper and legally better to give him some more time. Ok, extended date to July. July came, no car, no progress. Told Bowman we were done, that I wanted my money back. He said ok, but would need 2 weeks to get money. Ok. 2 weeks later, nothing, went to another lawyer, who called Bowman, got an agreement for a refund. 2 more weeks, nothing. Sent Bowman a letter demanding refund, he never signed for it. Postoffice is 150 yds from his door and he said he wasn't able to get to the post office. I had been looking at other cars since he agreed to give me back my money and came across a guy in Cali who had a car done by Bowman, and had a similar story. His Formual took 4 yrs to do, more money than quoted. During the formula rebuild he gave Bowman a TON of money for a 72 455 HO T/A. After 2 1/2 yrs, no car, so he contacted the Michigan Sec of State, filed a complaint. I did the same, and we got them to investigate Bowman. After a few months the state gave him a cease and decist order. He was very upset with me, blamed me for the investigation. Ok, no problem. We talked more, agreed to a partial downpayment and monthly installments to return my money. Another the few weeks passed, nothing. I went to Michigan in Novemebr 2003 to see him, and ended up hiring an attorney to file a civil case. In late December we filed my suit. Bowman also filed a small claims suit against me for supposed storage fees. OK, cool, finally gonna go to court with the guy. Over the next couple of months I waited for the suit to go thru, papers to be filed, etc. In early March the 90 days were up for his suit against me. I called the court house to see what was next, as I hadn't heard anything. Bowman never returned to follow up with his suit, so it was dropped. BUT, the clerk remembered seeing his name on some bankruptcy paperwork. Uh-oh. Called my lawyer, he didn't know anything. The next day he received filing papers and an automatic stay on my suit from Bowman's attorney. Turns out he owed over $200k to several people like me, and a few businesses. Ok, a new hurdle. Time to deal with the bankruptcy people. Now it's the end of March, I told Bowman's bankruptcy atty that I wanted the car, Trustee said it was mine and that I could have it. he said he'd tell Bowman, but that it seemed ok by him. The next night, at 1am, Bowman left a message for me saying that a friend of his had acquired title to my car as payment for these "storage fees". I was hot! I called his attorney, called the police. Finally got the East Lansing PD to take the case. Turns out Bowman had filed paperwork saying the car was abandoned, and was junk. He got a Michigan title to it. The police spent a year investigating him, and still are due to what it's become. Oh, btw, his bankruptcy was denied, and referred to the FBI and IRS, who I filed complaints with, too. So now he has the IRS, the FBI (who I have spoken with several times), and the ELPD investigating him on title fraud, tax evasion, internet fraud, and whatever else they can prove. Numerous additional victims have been located and interviewed from coast to coast. Oh, as for the pics of my car with CA plates??? The police ran the plates, and at the time the car was owned by a man in Cali, not Bowman, and get this...wasn't even my car, different VIN! So, if anyone was thinking of having him do a car, or even buying parts from him, please avoid this guy. He's a thief, a liar, and will not do you right. If you have had a similar experience please contact the East Lansing Police so that you can tell them your story, and put another nail in his coffin.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This guy seems like a real winner. Thanks for the update. Its good who not to do business with.

Old 05-26-2005, 04:51 AM

Thanks to sardegna for letting me know about "Firebird Country". There were many signs that should have clued me in that this guy is a fraud. He is highly unhygienic, there are no mechanics licenses to be found on the inside of the main barn, the other barns look abandoned, there are many Firebirds with out of state license plates, no cars are close to being complete, the main barn where the painting is done is filthy, etc. When I came back down to claim my vehicle he couldn't muster enough courage to drive his Olds Achieva to the barns and let me have the keys. The other men in his operation locked themselves in the main barn while I had my vehicle towed like the chicken **** scam artists they are. All they want is money-they have no intentions of completing a restoration. I felt sorry for moving around other people's Firebirds to get mine hauled out of there. I am sure there are many others who have been scammed. I will take pictures of this place and post it here to alert good tax paying citizens to stay away.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, that's a heck of a story sardegna! I'm sorry to hear it, but thanks for posting the details. Just a side note to the Formula in California you mentioned. On eBay a couple of months back I saw one for sale from CA that the seller said was done by Bowman. It was red and a 70-73 style. The guy selling it said it was for his wife but was too much for her to handle. I wonder if that was your car or if he was trying to unload a car he was scammed on?

Old 05-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow... makes me angry that there are people like this out there. Unfortunately Mr. Bowman is not the only one of this type that I've run into in the '70-'73 Bird hobby. Good thing the internet is available to help spread the word.

About 6 years ago, a friend of mine who was restoring a '71 was looking for a core support. Bowman claimed to have one from Arizona that was completely restored and in "just like NOS" condition. He wanted to ship it, but since we're only a few hours away we decided to take a road trip and have a look. It was all boxed up and he was reluctant to remove it, but finally did. My friend and I could not believe it -- rusted, bent thing with a coat of black paint on it. While we were there, we got to see a couple of the "fully restored" T/As he had advertised in Hemmings. After that, I would never ever do business with him....

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 05-26-2005, 09:43 PM

SD, I know the car you're talking about, a red 73 Formula. It was done for the guy in Cali I mentioned above, then he sold it to a friend there in Cali. According to the police, my car was always at his shop, never anywhere else. I have a feeling that in the near future Bowman will be arrested and prosecuted by East Lansing, and shortly thereafter the Feds. And to think I had to convince my wife he was legit...I'm living in hell daily! But I have my 70 for now, so I'm happy.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:26 AM

If any member on this board has a vehicle at "Firebird Country", go get the vehicle as Rick Bowman has no intention of doing any work-he just wants your hard earned money. He cannot put a mechanics lien since there are no mechanics and it is not a licensed business.