Old 04-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a an overheating problem at cruising speeds over 80'F with RPM's over 3300. I have a mildly built 400 with 4:10's and an alum. radiator and elec. fan (which I leave off during cruise) at idle I'm fine, but cruising it just goes right up to 215'F (that's when I shut it off), so I don't know if it would have stopped climbing or not. I have a 160' therm. and stock water pump. Please help! The track and drive in is 40 miles away and if I can't drive there than what's the point? Thanks.

http://members.cardomain.com/ironinjun68

Old 04-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a an overheating problem at cruising speeds over 80'F with RPM's over 3300. I have a mildly built 400 with 4:10's and an alum. radiator and elec. fan (which I leave off during cruise) at idle I'm fine, but cruising it just goes right up to 215'F (that's when I shut it off), so I don't know if it would have stopped climbing or not. I have a 160' therm. and stock water pump. Please help! The track and drive in is 40 miles away and if I can't drive there than what's the point? Thanks.

Old 04-18-2003, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok let me put out a few suggestions.
1st i had the same problem ruinning a 455 and 3.73s at 3k plus on the interstate it would get HOT, but if i slowed down to a 55 mph cruise it stayed cool.
2nd be shure you have a CAST IRON impeller on your water pump, if its that stamped steel crap it just doesnt move enough water some times, the way to tell is to thump the impeller and if it makes a nice "Ting" sound its stamped steel, and if you thump it and it goes "Thunk" its cast, it will also look the same as the cast housing the pump is made out of.
3rd if your relying on your Stock guage in the dash get an aftermarket and check it with that, mine was 15 degrees off.
So in conclusion i would get it on the interstate and cruise it at 55 mph and see if it gets hot.
Then check to see what kinda water pump impeller you have, if its stamped steel replace it with a cast iron impeller unit.
I was told that pushing the 455 to 3k for an extended period of time with the low gears was just too much for it, but i dont know if i believe that.
Since i put the new pump on my car its cooled down about 15 degrees, and doesnt get hot on the interstate at 70 mph, and i use a Stock radiator that has been repaired and is almost rotted out, and a Clutch fan.
Mike

Old 04-19-2003, 05:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Make sure that your advance is working correctly and that your fuel mixture isn't too lean. Vacuum leaks (creates a lean condition) will cause a car to run hot on the highway, too.

I had a problem similar to yours, as well. To make a long story short, the mechanical advance mechanism in the distributor was sticking, which would not give me all the advance I needed at highway speeds, which caused the car to run hot. It's better now that it's fixed.

The car used to run 220 on the open road, now it's down to 195, with a 180 thermostat. In town it runs 180.