Old 07-28-2003, 09:12 PM

It was sunday and I decided to go for a little cruise in my 67 gto. I had just got out on the road when two young men probably 19 or 20 pull along side of me honking and waving I smiled and waved as were all used to this reaction when driving these classic pontiac,s the young man driving is yelling to me that he just got a 67 gto and wants to talk with me so pull over at the locale part,s store by my house. seems 17 yrs ago a freind of his dads buy,s a 67 from north carolina to restore but 6 mos after he got the car he was killed in a car accident(not in the gto) so the car sat in his wifes garage for the next 16 yrs this young mans father tried to buy the car for the next few years to no avail then two weeks ago this lady calls out of the blue and asks if he still want,s to buy the car as she needs money to buy a car he gives her a 88 buick and 1500 for the car. I went over to look at the car and this thing is rock solid and complete I gave the young man my phone # and email adress and told him I,d be happy to help him with his project so I look,s like I,ll be busy this winter.

Old 07-28-2003, 09:12 PM

It was sunday and I decided to go for a little cruise in my 67 gto. I had just got out on the road when two young men probably 19 or 20 pull along side of me honking and waving I smiled and waved as were all used to this reaction when driving these classic pontiac,s the young man driving is yelling to me that he just got a 67 gto and wants to talk with me so pull over at the locale part,s store by my house. seems 17 yrs ago a freind of his dads buy,s a 67 from north carolina to restore but 6 mos after he got the car he was killed in a car accident(not in the gto) so the car sat in his wifes garage for the next 16 yrs this young mans father tried to buy the car for the next few years to no avail then two weeks ago this lady calls out of the blue and asks if he still want,s to buy the car as she needs money to buy a car he gives her a 88 buick and 1500 for the car. I went over to look at the car and this thing is rock solid and complete I gave the young man my phone # and email adress and told him I,d be happy to help him with his project so I look,s like I,ll be busy this winter.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:42 PM

I always take the time to talk with people when they ask me questions at the track or on the street. Especially those that tell me they just bought their first Pontiac. I've had a lot of great people show me the ropes and it's the right thing to do to "pass it on" (no pun intended).

Thanks PERFORMANCE YEARS PONTIAC for your contributions to our race series! www.outlawpontiacs.com

Old 07-29-2003, 09:43 AM

I'm going to chime in here as well.

In my industry I encounter the younger at every turn.....I employ alot of them, any and every opportunity for Q&A I step up. I'm sure most here feel the same way. We realize that the "kids" are the ones who will invest their $$ into our car love and help to keep this all going.
Karma Babe.....you've got to put it out to get it back.
Take a kid for a ride or to a race or let him/her turn a wrench on your car or hang out in YOUR driveway with their fart can ricer cars bench racing......start your loping Pontiac motor and let them sit in the car while it shakes and all the sounds come thru.
It doesn't take much to make a big impression that may last a lifetime.

My exposure was thru an Uncle and a 289 fastback Mustang and Karmen Ghia...go figure.....I was 6 or 7 and still remember the sounds and smell (leaded gas).....I've been hooked since..

Let's go a "hook" a few more...everyday.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:32 AM

When I was a kid, my babysitter's boyfriend had a '68 Firebird. He'd let me ride shotgun when we went to the store and I thought it was the coolest thing on the planet.

His car is long gone, and now I've been restoring a '68 Bird for the past few years. Go figure . . .

Thanks PERFORMANCE YEARS PONTIAC for your contributions to our race series! www.outlawpontiacs.com

Old 07-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Senior Chief

DadHarley,

You said almost exactly what I said (even got published in HPP!) I wish we could all take a kid for a ride. They have the desire, but when they only see Hondas and Mitsu's in the parking lots, that is all that they think is available. Our cars get more rare by the day, and some of the nicest ones will only see a couple of thousand miles a year! How do you get someone interested in something that isn't seen?? When my Tempest gets legal again, it is going to work 2-3 times a week (I car-pool the other days ), and it will be my only grocery getter! As I progress with the cosmetics, she will get to go to as many shows as I can fit in. My goal is to have my Contour become an autocrosser, and my Pontiac will become what it was born to be, PURE EXCITEMENT!

If it has ti*s or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Old 07-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My first encounter with v8 power is when the 20 year old up the street (I was about 14 then), gave me a ride in his 1932 chevrolet coupe with a big nailhead buick engine in it and a lasalle(sp) transmission. He told me to touch the dash when he said go and he would give me a quarter. I couldn't do it and I've been hooked on torque ever since.
That thing would fly. A Few years later he bought a new 57 Pontiac and just tore up the chevrolets in the area.

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Pre1964Pontiacs.html

Old 09-04-2003, 12:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

im only 21 and still learning how to tune my 69. my friend hated old cars. since i moved back after i bought my car hes considering buying one thats a big turn around from newer cars ( both imports and domestics )to old cars if i can get this running right and beating more ricers itll give a impression to my other friends that drive nip cars to look at V8's insted of Vtecs or hondas b,d..... series motors

Old 09-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's kewl, my son is riding his bike around these days saying "Wanna ride on the 78 TransAm?". My wife tells me hell no on the buildup of a car for him but we shall see about that. Maybe build it and keep it at home till he's done with College. I know how crazy I was at that age!

Old 10-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what a great find wonder how many more are out there like that

Old 01-21-2006, 12:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Velox65 Send a message via MSN to Velox65 Send a message via Yahoo to Velox65

I'm 15 1/2 and my father and I are restoring a 65 GTO with a 462 with a dual quad intake it's going to be my first car it's pushing out about 480 HP and 540 Ft pounds of torque...I've never liked ricer's the sound makes me gag.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:14 AM

Same here Velox. Except Im 16 and have my lisence. My and my father are working on a '68 Tempest. We were planning on a 400 engine done by a race shop, but we've decided to keep the OHC6 and upgrade that. You can get a surprising amount of hp out of these engines.

My father and cousin got me into muscle cars. My father bought a '78 Corvette to restore when I was like, 6, and I loved it. And my cousin has a GTO (have no idea what year it is, havnt seen it in years, maybe '67) with a race engine (also no clue what engine, possibly 400) that he has to run on aviation fluid. Its so damn sweet.

I will definatly use my car to drive my little brother to school and try to convert some of the ricers at my school.
Even though Im not insured on my car, because its currently insured for drivers over 25.