Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2021, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az
Default Clutch change and higher quality replacement parts

Hi All,
my TA has the ST-10 trans and have never been a big fan of 4 speeds. This combo is terrible with 3.42 rear. Above 45 mph, I wish it had an OD. Oh well, have decided to live with it for now but, I hate the motor buzzing at hiway and freeway speeds.
More stick shift troubles- Activating the clutch had started to change as the engagement area on the pedal motion was changing. My instincts tell me something was cracking/breaking, etc. I removed all the linkage to inspected all of them- all seemed 'ok'. that told me it was either the clutch fork or pressure plate related. Oh Fun! I have to pull the trans- yuck
So be it as I did not want to get stuck on the side of the road, etc.
Ended up buying the parts at NAPA as neither Auto Zone or Oreily's carried them. this really surprised me
The problem ended up being a broken clutch fork- in 2 places. Gladly, I bought the clutch fork as well while at the NAPA store before I tore my car down. With the bell off, I pulled the plate and disc to inspect that. All looked 'OK' but, I replaced them both as well since I was already this deep into it.
You stick shift guys may or may not be aware of this- and I want to share for us all to benefit from-
The replacement clutch fork from NAPA is much better quality than EOM. This surprised me.
It is noticably heavier and thicker metal too and made is USA.
Hoping this help you down the road when it is time to service your clutch, etc

Looking back, I wish I would have photo'd the 2 together but, did not think of it at the time. Here is a pic of part of the box showing part number, etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barcak clutch fork 12-21.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	580657  

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11