Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Senior Chief

Default Subframe....to remove, or not to remove. That is the question (73 TA Build)

I suppose I'll use this as My Build Thread instead of cluttering up the board with questions.

This started out as a good "20 footer" that I've owned since 1986:

Looked like this a month ago

Now looks like this:

It took me about 20 minutes with a hand grinder to get all the scale and surface rust off this frame leg

My question is for those who have removed the front subframe. How hard was it to get it back alligned up?

I've got a good quick sandblast shop down the road, and that frame would look much better if they did it vs me with a grinder

I see that there are these holes near the front body mount.
Do you just use these holes and align them with a big drift pin and crank it back down?
May as well replace the bushings too. Should I drill my own alignment holes or scribe or punch some reference marks? Just wanting some reassurance.

As it was mentioned in NJSteve's build up. "I'm only 4 bolts away"
My fear is that the sheet metal will never line up again once I remove those 4 bolts and it will haunt me every day untill final assembly comes!

Also,
I've been pressure washing like crazy and I think I see the original primer under here...or is that Buccaneer Red?

So far this body has absolutely NO rust...very pleased.

Original finish on this spindle too..under a thick layer of goo:

Planning on an Easter finish deadline....Whats the chances?

Last edited by Tunas73TA; 09-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.