67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:33 PM
Senior Chief

Default starter replacement

The starter went bad on my 69 firebird so i ordered a replacement from napa. Installed it tonite and when i started it sounded like it was rubbing on something and it kept making the noice after it was running so i shut it off right away. I assume i need shims, how many do you normally need for this ? Also this starter was tough to get the mounting bolts installed, is this normal?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob in NH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no set amount of shims. You have to measure with a 020-inch wire gauge to check for the pinion to flywheel clearance. If it was the same type of starter and nothing else was changed I am surprise if it did not have shims it would need it now. Usually if you change flywheel, or type of starter it may need shimmed.

The Following User Says Thank You to silverbullet07 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not surprising.. housings (starter mounts) pinion depth, gear differences etc..) for new starters can be a little different due to manufacturing differences... I would just start with a few or so and reduce till satisfactory results are obtained...always worked for me this way

Old 08-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Yup, there's no set amount. Your new starter should have had new shims with it. Silverbullet07 has the correct measuring procedure in his post.

When doing a recent install on my 69 bird, I found there to be some trial and error even after measuring. I think I installed, removed and reinstalled about 3 times to get it where it was happy.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Senior Chief

I talked to the parts man and he told me he would order another. Thanks

Old 08-01-2018, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've noticed over the years that all my manual transmission cars never have needed starter shims while all my automatic transmission cars have always needed shims.