Old 05-25-2024, 03:39 PM

Default Wildwood Disc Brake and Master Cylinder Questions

I purchased Wilwood kit 140-10996-DR (front disc conversion kit) and 261-14963-BK (Dual Master Cylinder and Prop Valve) for my 66 LeMans. It is currently 4 drum power brakes. I want to have my proverbial ducks in a row before I start tearing into it, since our summers are too short to be sidelined for an extended period of time. Here's my questions...

1) Do I need to buy and bend additional brake line to convert from my single MC to the new dual chamber one?
2)Will I still use the distro block mounted on the frame?
3)What are the original nut and thread sizes if I need to tie into the existing lines to the rear drums?

I have the Wildwood parts already, so I'm committed, but this is a first for me. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

1966 LeMans Convertible
Red Ext/Parchment Int/White Top
Old 05-25-2024, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will need a combination valve and will have bend your own lines. Sorry I don't know the thread sizes but you should be able to get what you need at an auto parts store.

Old 05-27-2024, 12:37 PM

Ok, thanks. After some more reading and research I see two options:

1) Use the original distribution block to split the front lines. Plug the rear outlet of the distro block. Use a coupler to join the rear line from the prop valve to the existing line to the rear drums.

2) Replace the distro block with a '67 (dual reservoir). Run lines from the prop valve to the new distro block.

It seems like the cleanest option is a '67 distro block, but I'd like to hear any ideas of why that is or isn't a good idea. My concern with option 1 is the likelihood of leaks with blocking a port and using a coupler with the old block.

Thanks everyone.

1966 LeMans Convertible
Old 05-27-2024, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have done it several times and used the original block. If you use the 1967 block you do get the added benefit of the warning light. I just didn't want the extra work.

Old 05-27-2024, 04:31 PM

I also just ran across this from Inline Tube. Maybe this is the answer...

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/blk103lp

1966 LeMans Convertible
Old 06-10-2024, 06:24 PM

Do you still need the block with the proportioning valve? The instructions state to connect the brake lines to the proportioning valve

https://www.performanceonline.com/Wi...xoC-_IQAvD_BwE

Old 06-10-2024, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sorry I didn't see you were converting to disc brakes. In that case you must use the combo valve.