View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well said dadsformula . They definitely lived life to the fullest. Btw, I mentioned the scoop in my last post cuz I actually have one of the scoops for a build of mine. but they look best on a blown Hemi which I don't have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsformula View Post
Thanks Guys, really enjoyed the Videos and article. I have the Special Addition
Hot Rod Mag on the Surfers. One of the best. The Story of the Cardboard and
duct Tapped Hemi is crazy. No one in their right minds would try that or several other
things they did. Sorkin's friend describing his final ride, just shocked me. The
danger those guys endured and at times laughed at during that time pretty much tells
what it took to do that job. Anyone that got into a Digger, or Early Funny Car
or a Gasser could not have thought much about the danger. Just a bunch of guys that
loved what they did and lived with the results, good or Bad. Anytime you read or see
an article about the "Old Days" make you wonder how so many survived. Board
Track, Early Indy, High Cowl Bentleys (with no fricken brakes)and pretty much any
form of racing in the early days could end your life without warning. Many of those
guys however were WWII pilots and other guys that lived through so much danger
that racing was not even a problem for them. Today if any of us were asked to
take a full power run in any of those Cars or Bikes, our brains would kick in and
fear would stop most from continuing. Just a completely different set of rules those
guys lived and died by. They will forever have my respect, and that goes for any of
you guys that strap on the Belts, and slam it to the floor. I'm a certified chicken,
and on my only run could not pull 4th in my Friends 66 Impala SS, and certainly
would not include myself in any of these groups, but what a great history our sport has.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~