Thread: 73 F455 4-speed
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsformula View Post
...PHS is needed to confirm
both the 4-speed and the RA...
I bought back a '73 Trans Am earlier this year that I originally owned from '78-'80. It is a 4 spd but missing the original trans.

The Dealer Invoice (PHS record) does not confirm the 4 spd.

Does the PHS record for a '73 Formula confirm the 4 spd?

And if so, does it distinguish between the M20 and M21?

Also, I have been confused about the availability of the M21 for '73.

The '73 Firebird Order Form shows the (2) 4 spd options.

The M21 is shown as Not Available for the Standard (Base) Firebird, the Esprit, and the Trans Am. Blank for the Formula which indicates it was optional. There is a Note to say it is only available with the 4 BBL 400 or regular 455 (not apparently available with the SD).

The M20 is indicated as optional for any of the 4 Firebird Models with a Note to indicate it was Not Available with the 6 cyl or 2 BBL 400.

I have another document that I printed from a website. It looks like it may have been reprinted from a Salesman's Catalog but not sure.

It lists all the options and whether they are standard or available for each of the 4 Models (Base, Esprit, Formula, Trans Am).

The M20 is shown as Not Available for the Base or Esprit. It shows Available for the Formula and Standard for the Trans Am. With further Notes to say "Not available with 350 ci V-8 or 400 ci V-8 2 BBL".

The M21 is shown as N/A for the Base or Esprit. It shows Available for the Formula and Trans Am. With further Notes to say "With Formula 400 or 455 4BBL".

AFAIK, my Trans Am originally had an M20 (which was long gone when I reacquired it).

I originally interpreted the Order Form option list to mean the M21 was only offered for the Formula. But the Option List document that I found contradicts the Order Form, showing the M21 as Available for the TA. And you say most '73 Formula's got the M21 (if 4 spd).

Now I'm not so sure about my TA.

I'm asking about the PHS because I am wondering whether a TA with M21 would have that option show up on the Dealer Invoice even while the M20 is not shown?

Or was the M21 not offered for the TA as indicated by the Order Form copy that I have.

I'm assuming that if the PHS doesn't show the M21 when so optioned, there simply would be no way to know if my TA had the M20 or M21 (unless I had the Manifest which I don't).