View Single Post
Old 06-20-2021, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've one of the few that will respond here that has actually moved cams on the dyno and observed the results. I did this with "fast ramp" designs so it applies here.

I've also moved cams then evaluated the results on the street and backed them up with track numbers.

With a cam as big as the 704 and compression at only 9.35 to 1 I doubt if you run into any issues advancing the cam. You will however never know where it worked best unless some sort of dyno or track testing was done after each movement.

When moving cams on the dyno not one time has anything improved anyplace advancing one 4 degrees beyond the LSA, or 106ICL for a 110LSA or 108ICL for 112LSA, etc.

I even tried a 110LSA cam with really aggressive flat solid lobes once in a 455 race engine and it like 110ICL and ran deep into the 10's with a pretty "basic" engine combo, iron heads, T-II intake, HP950, etc.

I also did some street evaluations backed up by track testing moving the cam around in the 455 that powered my Ventura a few years back. It was the Crower 60919 cam and started at the recommended 109ICL. Moved it to 111, 113, then to 107, then back to 109ICL and drove the car on the street plus drag raced it several times after each movement.

Absolutely and for sure the engine "felt" strongest at 107ICL, snappy, quick to rev off idle, highest vacuum reading etc. On the street it literally shredded the tires with a "blip" of the throttle. I'd have bet a couple of pay checks it would run the quickest there. Sadly at the track it slowed down everyplace even short times and ran nearly 2mph SLOWER than it did at 109 and 111ICL. This type of testing has made me have little faith in the "butt meter" to evaluate swapping out and testing parts with these engines.

Clear up at 113ICL the engine felt "soft" and a bit lethargic on the street. It ran about the same as it did at 107ICL for track numbers so the really late intake closing wasn't making it either.........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: