View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 01:50 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback66 View Post
Does anyone run evens coolant?

https://www.evanscoolant.com/
Expensive. In my opinion, it basically raises the boiling point versus 50/50 anti-freeze. It has some properties that say prevents cohesion of water to the internal engine parts to prevent hot spots/steam pockets.

If you develop a leak out on the road - your not going to most auto stores to get it.

Water Wetter will work in the same way with regards to the cohesion claim. I used it and it dropped my engine temps just slightly.

I went with a good flex fan that added some good cooling at the lower speeds. Only problem is that it has a noticeable "whirring" sound that some do not like. Not an issue for me. So that would be my recommendation as to where to look next. If you have a fan shroud, and you should have one, just make sure the aftermarket fan diameter will work within the shroud.

You also want to check timing, vacuum advance to make sure it is operating (helps to cool the engine temps down) and possibly a lean carb condition which will throw more heat into the cylinders.

Try raising your idle RPM's with the gas pedal in stop/go traffic since it's a 4-speed. Higher RPM's will draw more air through the radiator. I do this sometimes with my '73 Fury and AC/automatic - put it in neutral and raise the RPM's to help cool in stop/go traffic which is also cited/recommended in the owners manual.

The bottom line is that trying to "band-aide" a hot running engine is just that, a band-aide. Get it working right in the first place and you won't need the band-aides.

200-205 degrees IS too hot for these engines unless it is due to stop/go traffic and as soon as you are rolling it drops right down - which I believe you experienced.