Thread: Which Oil?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 12:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ponchy

Over the years I've used a plethora of motor oils.
Chevron, Penzoil, Quaker State, etc.
In the 70's and 80's I had a '75 Vega and my dad had a '67 Bug. We both used Arco Graphite in those cars and the others he owned.
Worked great. Generally, 10W-30, which was the "hip" lighter weight in those days (this was a few years before the advent of the 5 weight oils that are pretty much standard now).
Everyone loved Arco Graphite. It did exactly what it advertised.....dam EPA had it removed from the market due to creating extra pollutants, I believe.
Then, from September of 1992 until the last day of August 2013, I owned a Mazda B2200 truck.
In case you're trying to do the math, that's 20 years, 11 months and 9 days (I generally just tell people I owned it for "about" 21 years. Close enough).
Due to a "design feature" of the oil pump, the lifters would tick constantly (hydro lift, not mech.).
I must've put 3 whole sets in there before discovering Chevron Delo 400.
I worked in a truck shop at the time and that was the oil we used.
Shut those lifters right up (higher zinc content in those days).
I used that oil religiously for about 20 years.
Good reliable oil that can be found anywhere.
Unless your vehicle takes a light oil (like 5w-20, for instance), I would recommend the 15W-40.
Shell Rotella is another good "diesel": oil, from what I've heard but I've never used it, so I can't speak from personal experience.
Anyway, when I sold the truck, I got a Ford Range (sorry 'bout that) that indeed takes 5W-20, so I've curtailed the use of the Delo and now just use Walmart oil.
I can get it in 5 quart jugs for a good price and it seems to work fine.
.....and NAPA oil filters, too. Made by Wix. Good filter. No more Fram. Not since "filter-in-a-filter". No sir.

Last edited by Ponchy; 11-09-2017 at 12:42 AM.