View Single Post
Old 07-29-2023, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Solved !

So thought I would follow up with some interesting developments.

Its been 2 years since I installed the new ESC box & I just now finally got the car out for a wash, light detail & some cruise miles. Its running great, but I am just now realizing something I never knew.

For so many years I always heard comments about the 4.9 turbos being complete dogs & powerless. I never really compeltely agreed with that. No, they are no W72 car, but I felt it pulled pretty decent & spirited when the turbo spooled up. Would almost always squeek the tires on the 1-2 shift. It has been that way since I bought it 23 ish years ago. The only thing I did notice negatively was a little detonation when the engine was hot. nothing terrible, & not all that often & usually fresh gas premium fuel kept it away as far as I could tell.

So fast forward to today with the new ESC box installed & the car has officially transformed to what so many others have described as a non performer. Clearly my orignal esc box had never worked correctly

If it wasn't for the sound of the turbo, and the lights on the hood, I would question if the turbo is even doing anything. I am guessing the new ESC is pulling timing as designed & maybe even too much. Its ok, & I am not complaining. I drive it to enjoy the 1980 experience & its never been about performance, but I just think its funny that I was getting more out of it all these years with a bad ESC box & I didn't even know it. now its fairly anemic. 1-2 shifts are now stiff, but no way its able to break the tires at all.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA

Last edited by 68ragtop; 07-29-2023 at 01:40 PM.