View Single Post
Old 03-14-2024, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
/\ which version?
“donut”, space saver (collapsible), or full sized?
'79 & '80 T/A's, at least VN production through the late Spring of '80 production used the collapsible space saver. Have no first hand info on very late built '80 models.

In the late Spring of '80, my Dads cousins son showed up at my folks place in a fresh off the lot black '80 T/A, 15x7 snowflake car. Can remember taking a ride in it, then we took a ride in my SE turbo. Few years later I put a power trunk release his '80 & it still had its collapsible space saver. All of the original '81 T/A's & Formulas I dealt with in the early '80's had the larger diam "donut" space saver. The majority of those '81's had WS6.

Of note with the 81's, within a year or two of new, a couple of my '81 owner friends began buying expensive stereo systems. Most common were top end Kenwood f/e units along with 801 & 901 amps. Can remember it like yesterday, once one one starts mounting two of those amps up against the rear seat divider, trunk space began to become an issue in a Fisher top car. During that time frame, for one '81 Turbo T/A, I picked up a collapsible space saver at local late model GM yard so an amp could be mounted in front of the spare.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 03-14-2024 at 11:43 AM.