View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73LeMans View Post
Keep in mind, coasting is not legal in all states.
I'm from PA originally, and it has always been illegal in that state. I never checked into OH but it's probably illegal here too, but how would a cop ever prove it in court? Funny thing is it's legal to tow a disabled car in PA with a chain, providing there isn't more than 15 feet between the cars, and you pretty well know that the second car is coasting with no ability to stop from the lead car, other that rear ending it to stop.

Consider many late model cars with automatics go into free wheeling mode when you foot is off the gas and the vehicles speed exceeds the engine speed to save fuel. The old add on overdrives also had the same feature that they would free wheel if the engine returned to idle and the vehicle speed increased beyond the engine speed. It would be almost impossible for a cop to prove unless the engine was shut off while coasting. I do believe that that was the original intent of the archaic laws, not coasting while the engine was still running.

I'm not worried about violating that law because I never shut the engine off, be stupid to do that with almost every vehicle on the roads has power assist brakes and steering, not a good place to put yourself into shutting the engine off.

I'll ask, has anyone reading this ever been ticketed for coasting or have they known a instance of anyone that's been ticketed with the engine running? Post it up so we can all become educated.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated