Thread: Alternator AMPS
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

CS-140 is nice, improves low rpm output
12si's are also good, but lower output at lower rpms compared to CS-140
I've worn out a few 12si's (i have a hardcore stereo system and many electric bells/whistles so to speak), the CS-140 has been a nice workhorse for sure

There's some other alts on the market too, MEGA alt and another one that have some VERY nice output at low rpms

it's always a good idea to upgrade the charge wire, but again that depends on your draw
also, make sure you use a very good belt if using a V belt to drive high amp alts
Serp belts will have less slippage and better at low rpms when the ALT is working hard
and as always double check your grounds and make sure they are good, and YES... some of these high amp alts need an additional ground wire on the casing, READ your install instructions

ALSO.... BE weary of high output claims.... some just change pulley size to speed the alt thus making claims on such mega power.... remember that will heat the ALT up more, so keep an eye out on that

as for dimming lights there are many factors....
battery (not all are created equal), battery cables
Alt (amperage of course at various speeds, along with the load)
grounds
headlight relay kits (painless makes a GREAT one)

speaking of headlights and a little off topic but i can not rave enough about the VisionX LED headlights.... Ultra bright, great spread, super white, and VERY low power draw.... something to consider....

The Following User Says Thank You to Don 79 TA For This Useful Post: