View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Ben - excellent work; we will mod the next batch to clear this - even though Wilwood is a competitor having the ability to use their "upgrade" calipers would not hurt.

I am concerned about the size of the booster; if that is a dual 7" it may not work so hot with a low vacuum motor.

One other modification I had to make that I didn’t take a picture of is to the inside of the Wilwood Calipers. When mounted, the outside edges of the brake rotor would slightly contact the inside of the caliper when rotating it. There was plenty of meat inside the caliper so I used a small file to create about 1/16 inch of clearance for the rotor edges.

The power brake / disk master cylinder conversion kit I used has the following specs from the MP site:

1966 Pontiac Catalina Power Brake Conversion Kit - 9" Dual Diaphragm Booster w/OE Manual Brakes

9 inch Dual Diaphragm Brake Booster
1 inch or 1-1/8 inch Bore Master Cylinder
Powdercoated Black Booster with Black Master Cylinder
For Use on Cars with Originally Equipped with Manual Brakes

The kit worked ok, but I one thing I didn’t immediately realize is that when buying the kit for a ‘66 Catalina with OE manual brakes, the back of the booster has a large bracket on it to change the manual pedal ratio to a less aggressive power ratio. Since a factory booster in my car looks a lot cleaner when mounted directly to the firewall, I removed the bracket and remounted the crevice to the booster. I then had to source a power brake pedal for a manual shift car which is pretty impossible for a full size, so I made my own by welding a manual lower section (small foot pedal since there are three) with the longer upper section from a power brake pedal assembly from an automatic transmission car I bought of eBay for $20.ot was a bunch of extra work, but it looks a lot nicer imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk