View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Ben - thanks for the feedback - we did NOT know this concerning the axle bearing.

We are however aware of the pad thickness issue - some calipers loaded won't fit on the rotor period, which make you wonder how they sell them.

If you have more pix we would like to see/use them. Did the Wilwood's clear the stock 14" wheels?

Yes, I couldn’t believe how much thicker the AC Delco pads were that I received. I still have the pads so I’ll try to dig them out and take a comparison pic. Definitely not consistent. I did not try the OE 14” steel wheels with the GTO-replacement Wilwood front calipers since I already had 17” on the car. I sold the original steel wheels so I don’t have a spare to try them now either unfortunately. I do have many detailed pics from the front / rear conversion and all of the part numbers I used for the braided stainless brake lines if you want additional info for your customers. Everything went together pretty well, but I would definitely make my own brake lines next time rather than buying the kit from Inline Tube for this conversion. I had to modify a few so I could have done it cheaper myself in the end.

As far as getting the front dual piston Wilwood calipers to fit is concerned, they bolted right up, but there is a small clearance issue due to the wider dual caliper body. I didn’t realize this until I tried to mount the calipers over the rotors and couldn’t get the calipers to move outward far enough. I had to clearance your mounting bracket slightly to allow the caliper body to slide freely in the bracket. See pics below. I can send you more detailed pics directly if you like and will have the car on jack stands shortly since they just salted the roads here in Illinois. I put on a couple thousand miles this summer and they brakes feel really good and are well-balanced after bedding in the pads according to the instructions provided with the Wilwood calipers. I performed an OE manual to power brakes conversion to this car at the same time I did the disk conversion so that was an interesting research exercise as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk