View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 11:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Post 66 disc brake conversion

Steve
I found a few sets of 69-70 full size disc brake setups years ago in local salvage yards, using one now on my 66 Catalina.
The steering knuckles are a bolt in system, and I used the brake calipers as cores for rebuilt ones.
An hour glass beading the knuckles and brackets and sprayed with a rattle can, they look new.
The rotors on both sets were usable, well above minimum thickness for machining, but I doubt they could be turned again.
I figure that with the 2-3,000 miles I drive it every year, they should last me a lifetime.
I used the original 1970 power booster, but bought a new master cylinder and flex hoses.
I had to switch over to 15" wheels for clearance on the brake calipers.
I've heard good things about the Scarebird conversion, but these were local and inexpensive.
Ron

Semper Fi