Thread: PHS Documents
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, Regret to hear the info on the PHS was lacking, have you checked above the gas tank? Years ago, i pulled 3 build sheets out of my '80 Turbo SE, its an early Van Nuys car, but I've pulled more than one out of Norwood built T/A's & Formulas of this era.

On an '80 T/A, all will have a TH350. "Believe" lockup TH350's in 301 T/A's began on '81 models, know the '80 LU8 turbo cars didn't get a lockup up convertor, but it's been too long since I've worked on an '80 W72 301 T/A. Rear gear ratio wouldn't be noted on an invoice copy, the rearend code would be listed on an original build sheet.

Invoice copy should note whether the W72 301 engine was optioned. With the 3.08 geared rear, I would bet the W72 301 option was checked off. Of the W VIN code 301 engined '80 T/A's I've parted, the base 301 W cars were easy to spot; original crossflow muffler cars, no ESC grommet on the firewall are the telltale. With factory AC, the base 301 engine cars were saddled with a high ratio #9 carrier & 2.41's. Lower gear ratios 2.73's & 3.08's were the norm under the W72 301 T/A's.

It's unfortunate there is not a lot of quality info on the web in respect to the '80 model T/A's with the W coded 301's. That info, as well as a production breakdown of the base (L37) engine cars & the W72 301 engined equipped cars.

The W72 301's exhaust was the same as a turbo car; had a Y pipe & twin exhaust pipes with a small muffler on each side before the axle, then back to splitter tail pipe extensions. Turbo cars & '80 W72 cars had Electronic Spark Control with a 7 wire harness going through the cowl to the small ESC box in the very far front of the console. Lower ratio gearing, a different calibrated TH350, as well a specific HEI & the '80 301 W72 Q-jet (17080270) was used on the 301 W72 optioned T/A.

As far as other options go, factory AC was very common. PW & door locks were also fairly common. Additional acoustic insulation was ordered on quite a few '80's & 81's. I ordered it on my '80, & a few years later ripped all of it out when preparing for weld in subframe connectors. Saved over 40 lbs ripping the junk out.

If an '80 or '81 T/A was optioned with AC & rear grid type defroster, & halogen headlights, the HD (15SI) alt was required. This 70 amp alt used its own set of Alt/PS brackets. Quite a few of us ordered the radio accommodation pkg in '79-81 Birds & installed our own higher quality stereo. A dash speaker in each corner was first avail on Firebirds for 1980, but one had to order a factory Delco stereo to be able to order the small speakers in the dash. Hope this helps.