View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 06:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Another milestone

I rolled the frame into my other workroom and got the body set down and bolted on. Before setting it down, I stretched wrapped all the underneath portions of the frame and suspension. I wrapped the driveshaft but not across the u-joints so I can still roll the car. I cut holes in the shrink wrap for the body mounts.

This is the repro firewall body mount bracket that I had to replace due to rust-out. As you might remember, I had to modify this bracket to get it to fit in the right place and it wasn't easy. Even though I measured and re-measured before welding it on, It was nice to see when I saw it line up perfectly and not need any shims.

I marked the body bracing before I removed it all just in case I could help someone out who might need them. It's probably a slim chance though since shipping alone would be more expensive than the cost of new steel.

So now it's on to completing the bodywork followed by the primer and paint process. I don't figure that's going to go quick. I'm going to try and make all the gaps as perfect as I can and I figure that's going to require some welding. Plus I foresee a lot of time alone to fit and finish out the front bumper.

I did go down to the interior shop today. We tried the headrests in the seats and it appears the bars being 1/4" closer together won't be a problem as it appears to have a little give to it. That was a relief.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO