View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue71ta View Post
...but they're also saying to buy the 2004-2006 GTOs. I don't see those ever being valuable. They weren't popular when they were new.
There are many examples of cars that are very collectible now yet we're unpopular when new. 57 Chevrolet and the Plymouth Super bird come to mind.

I think the 04-06 GTOs were desired when new but many in that group we're not able to afford to buy one. The demographic that could afford a GTO at that time also had several other choices so sales were tough. It seems like the market has bottomed out and now values are creeping upwards for nice examples. Gen Xers like myself would likely be interested in low mile unmodified well cared for cars. Millennials would likely be interested in cars that have upgraded suspensions and hp increases. The dual demand is helping to keep prices stable at the moment.

Even so, I would stop short of recommending that an investor aquire one in hopes of making a nice profit. I think it will be quite a while before the 04-06 GTOs enjoy premium collectible status, if ever. It would be a shame if these cars were hoarded up and locked away in a garage. If you have one, enjoy it.....they are great fun to drive. If you have never driven one...I would recommend a test drive. You might be pleasantly surprised.

For those that aren't familiar...
The 04 model has the 350 HP LS1 5.7 liter engine, smooth hood and dual exhaust on the same side of the car. There just wasn't enough time for Pontiac and Holden to design/build the hood scoops and modify the exhaust or time to Americanize the body styling. There was something called SAP, which is the Sport Appearance Package but it wasn't available until very late in the 04 model run or possibly early in the 05 year. It could be purchased as a complete kit or individual components....all dealer installed.

The 05-06 had the upgraded LS2 engines with 400 HP, split dual exhaust, improved brakes and hood scoops. 18" wheels were also available and quite rare today.

Currently the 05-06 models are more in demand vs the 04 for the reasons listed above. Cars with the SAP package are priced well above models without. In the future, the 04 models that might be interesting are any with blue interior or the cars with the Bobcat package.

I really enjoy my 05 GTO but I am not saving it for the next guy. I drive it often and enjoy the heck out of it. As far as collectability goes....that is the next owner's problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk