View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, that does indeed happen. I'll bet Keith can relay some stories about this! I think the new book "Echoes Of Norwood" talks about this as well.

I know a guy that was the original owner of a 74 SD455 Formula (and kept it for 30 years), and when he picked the car up in 1974, it had a Formula 350 badge on the passenger side, Formula 455 on the drivers side. He left it that way.

As these cars were coming down the assembly line, if they ran out of certain bolts, washers, or other hardware, the line manager used something else, as long as it was from a similar line of cars.

Nothing was going to stop the assembly line, short of a strike.

I do laugh sometimes when I hear a couple guys arguing about the design of a cage nut, or the gloss level of a suspension part. These were mass produced cars, and GM was in a business to make money and meet deadlines.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.