View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
There's certainly something to be said about no car payments! And up until recently, I drove nothing but classics, the cost was way lower than a new car, even with upgrades. Once you factor in property tax, insurance, maintenance, etc, even an econo box over a 3-5 year period would afford you a very nice muscle car.

Just to touch on the point again, when it comes to performance, do a simple power to weight ratio comparison of older cars to newer cars. Sure, factor in the difference in the way those numbers were, and are now calculated. Then compare where the differences are in other areas, like gearing, overdrive, etc, and you can make those changes to your classic, and be right there.

Sounds like we have a lot in common. We used to do a lot of the new car stuff through the 80's-90's and into the early 2000's. LS powered stuff, car payments, higher insurance etc... I still drove classics fairly regularly but it was my wife that pushed to drive nothing but classics several years ago. She, just like many, got sick of insurance and car payments, the depreciation (high buy in and low sale) and the cost of maintenance was getting crazy. It also made sense that my job revolves around restoring classics from mechanics to paint and body. So the decision was actually very easy.
We don't need 30 mpg, and we don't need to whip around corners as fast as possible. I much rather enjoy buying $150 a-piece 15" tires. When it came time to put tires on our Z06 at $400 a piece, that car got shipped to a new owner