View Single Post
Old 05-07-2024, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It basically takes about 5 percent more of this new fuel to make things happy. I made it standard ops in the shop to add a little fuel to idle, off idle and the cruise part of the fuel curve when setting up carburetors here and never had a single issue sticking to that plan.

Matter of fact I was STOOPID enough to let one customer talk me into keeping the carb 100 percent completely "stock" for his late 70's Corvette restoration. I wasn't comfortable with it, but followed orders. Sure as chit the phone rings as soon as he put the carb in service and he's busting my balls that it's not idling all that great and his "mechanic" claims it's sucking air at the secondary shaft and needs bushings put in it.

So I had him send it back. I opened up the IFR's by .002", replaced the 49K primary rods with my .045" full tapered rods, and sent it back. Didn't even look at the secondary shaft as the huge throttle plates seal tight in the bores and no bushings are needed back there.

Never heard another word from him, which in this business is ALWAYS a good thing because if you do good work 99.9 times out of 100 you don't here a thing. Mess something up and you'll hear about it 100 times before you get a chance to correct your mistakes!.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),